PDA

View Full Version : I've already got a Sports muffler, but I want it louder

Oz87Si
09-04-2003, 08:39 PM
I got my muffler for $200AUD, its nice and just gives the sound a bit more throat and a little louder. I kept the stock muffler so I can put it back on when my sports one wears out a bit. One thing though, I want it to be louder cos even though it sounds nice, its not really much louder.

Is there anything sensible that I can do (I dont want to punch holes in the thing)?

Cheers Lads

pimp86LX
09-04-2003, 08:58 PM
why make it louder? Louder does not equal faster. It just invited police fines and thug wannabe racers

1987HondaAccord
09-04-2003, 11:04 PM
i think if you remove the resonator, it will be a lot louder. I haven't done this, but thats what i hear. Did you have a full cat back done? or just the muffler?

Blue Impact
09-04-2003, 11:17 PM
You may think it's cool to have it louder now, but later on, you'll want it to be quieter. I totally agree with pimp86LX.

bobafett
09-05-2003, 03:04 AM
i have got the BEST solution.

get some headers, and 2.25 from the header back :) who needs a cat.. your ozone is already fucked ! :D

RustyHo88
09-05-2003, 06:58 AM
yea, bobafett is right... or you could just take off the whole exhaust pipe. then it would be super duper loud. like... "I hate driving this car" loud, or "Step out of the car and put your hands above your head" loud.

chriskatana
09-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Mine is already "I hate driving this car!" loud, but that's because my stock muffler has a 6inch hole in the bottom of it..

I'm on with what pimp and bobafett said, you'll wish it was quieter not long after you make it louder, Don't F'up a $200 mufffler, you'll regret it later.

NXRacer
09-05-2003, 09:44 AM
He wasnt asking for opinions if his car was too loud or what he should do to his exhaust, he just wants it louder.

If you have stock piping, either punch out the cat (cheap), or have new piping made (not so cheap). I have 2.25" pipe from the cat back with only a resonator tip on the back and it doesnt sound too bad.

Nobody flame me on this because it doesnt sound too bad no matter what you would think.

toastyghost
09-05-2003, 09:52 AM
NXR: Thank you. Sometimes people get so far off on opinionated tangents that they lose focus on telling someone what they want to know.

A straight pipe or gutted cat or whatever will definitely help the growl but it's not street legal in most places.

PS- the government-subsidized corporations that are pumping billions of tons of pollutants into the atmosphere are doing a hell of a lot more damage than MY CAR so I don't want to hear anyone give anyone else shit for getting rid of their cat.

Dibbs
09-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by toastyghost

PS- the government-subsidized corporations that are pumping billions of tons of pollutants into the atmosphere are doing a hell of a lot more damage than MY CAR so I don't want to hear anyone give anyone else shit for getting rid of their cat.

:werd: .......HEY! WAIT A MINUTE! I work for one of those companies! (Exxon Mobil)

I'm just playing, I understand the wrap we get. But, I guess until the Hippies want to start paying an extra grand for their computers or an extra $1.50/gal for Gas, we'll just keep on keepin on.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-05-2003, 10:21 AM
As it's been said many times for many reason's, this is a discussion forum. And if that mean's someone wants to give a decenting opinion, well that's gonna happen.

I've seen plenty of threads where this has happened and something was brought to the attention of the thread creator, that they never would have considered otherwise and they were very gratefull for it. Not saying thats the case here, just saying we should be allowed to give opinion's wheather asked for or not as long as they are not violating any conduct rules. And it just plain smart not to always dish people in any event.

Let's not make this a case of yelling at the messenger cause we don't like the message.

I don't think really loud exhaust system's are the way to go, but had I said something to that effect in a reply, I also would have given my best thoughts on how the poster could get his system louder, but that's just me. I like to help, even if I don't think that person SHOULD do it.

Dibbs
09-05-2003, 10:52 AM
:werd:

Right on man. Couldn't agree more.

BootMachine
09-05-2003, 11:36 AM
ok what you do is spend a little cash on a high temp "Y" valve with electric solonoid action. SO....what you do is weld this thing on right before the flex pipe on the down pipe!

SO...you have normal exhaust flow untl you switch over the valve and then your exhaust just dumps out right before the flex!

That should make it loud!

IMO...keep it quiet. My car is supa loud and it gets really annoying. ALSO...I'm getting sick of pressing in the clutch every time a cop rolls past!

Admiral
09-05-2003, 03:28 PM
In a lot of America Loosing the cat will get you in trouble when you get it inspected, but I dont know what the system is in Austrailia, much less Melbourne. Plus here cops look for stuff like loud exhausts, as suggested by BootMachine and others above. So I'd beware of local laws. But if you want it obnoxiously loud I'd loose the cat, but in my opinion, it would be a waste cause a sweet sounding exhaust is nice, but a loud one is obnoxious. But thats just me.