PDA

View Full Version : short ram question

danronian
09-05-2003, 03:35 AM
This question may have been asked before but in searching I couldn't find the answer: I realize that if you take the stock intake system off and replace it with a short ram that it actually sucks hotter air then the original since it is just sucking engine air, but still the FAQ link says that it gives you about 9hp. My question is would this adversely affect gas mileage at all? It would seem to me no since a slightly hotter engine w/o problems is usuallly more efficient, but what are others experiences or thoughts on the topic. Thanks-Dan.

A20A1
09-05-2003, 03:57 AM
I cut and pasted this from my previous response to someone else:
_____ _____ _____
Hmm if it doesn't increase gas mileage then thats probably becasue the Air flow sensor senses more air and puts out more fuel to keep the A/F ratio in check.
But maybe the increase in air flow helps your motor injest air more efficiently which then could increase the gas mileage.

All I know is you get rid of restriction using either the short ram or cold air intakes... but one will give you more power depending on the conditions.

Cold air is denser, but it has to travel further, plus you have to keep the air cool as it travels thru the intake pipe to the TB. So what the intake is made out of makes a difference too. You can use ceramic coatings on metal or different materials simmilar to the special plastics that are used to make spacers to prevent heat-soak... if they are infact plastic?

Short ram has less bends, and is a shorter distance for the air to travel, but you're injesting hot air which not only is low in densitly but doesn't exactly help cool the engine down either so things will continue to get hotter on the intake side eventually making the short ram worse off then the Cold air.

I've done some tricks with shorts rams and a thick foam mushroom style filter... then I sprayed the filter with cold water... a fine mist to cover the entire filter. That way as the air passed thru the pores in the filter it was cooled by the water... however adding too much water to the foam filter causes it to swell slightly and that might close the pores on the filter, making it harder for the air to get in.

danronian
09-05-2003, 05:24 AM
The real reason I have never installed a cone filter is b/c my fear of it becoming soaked when driving around on flooded roads (that car can really go through some water) and the engine ingesting water. Is this really something that can happen to short ram cone style intakes or am I just worrying too much? (It would seem to me since the cone is so high in the engine bay that water couldn't really get to it but I thought maybe it would either splash up from below or come through the radiatior.) The reason I say this is b/c I love that the Honda is a car that takes me anywhere in any type of weather and I really don't want to compromise its ability to do this for me for a mere few hp that I really don't need.

A20A1
09-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Don't let little splashes of water scare you. The main thing you don't want is to submerge your filter or dunk it low enough in water that it has no choice but to suck some up.
And don't trap your filter in a place where water could collect and have no place to drain away. and don't put it in a place where water will pour onto the filter.

Where the battery is is a good place for a filter... some water still gets in from the headlight area but it's pretty harmless.

The other option is to have a short ram and then build a box around it, then run a 3" hose from the box to collect cold air. The 3" hose will more then likely never suck up water, you can even face it forward to get a ram air effect... but relocating the battery and widening the hole beneath the battery tray to accept the 3" hose might not be what you want...

Yeah I've hit puddles that actually choked my exhasut off and on and I was afraid I woudln't make it out.

Just stick with the stock system if you plan on riding waves anytime soon. :D

danronian
09-05-2003, 05:44 AM
I like the ram air idea with the box. I was actually thinking of doing that on my friends 98 passat. What would be best for the 3" hose, dryer duct?

86AccordLxi
09-05-2003, 09:34 AM
I was reading on www.honda-tech.com a few weeks back about sr vs. cai. One guy grabbed a temp sensor and stuck it in the wheel well (where the filter would go) and then in the engine bay (where the sr filter would go). After about 25-30 mph, the difference in temp was only about 2-5 degrees because enough air is flowing underhood to keep temps down. A scoop would probably help, as would a box (or both together ;) ). But the difference doesn't seem worth it (to me).

Alex

danronian
09-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Interesting, as soon as I can find a decent cone filter for real cheap I'll get started. Maybe I'll just make a heat shield for it or something.

A20A1
09-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 86AccordLxi
I was reading on www.honda-tech.com a few weeks back about sr vs. cai. One guy grabbed a temp sensor and stuck it in the wheel well (where the filter would go) and then in the engine bay (where the sr filter would go). After about 25-30 mph, the difference in temp was only about 2-5 degrees because enough air is flowing underhood to keep temps down. A scoop would probably help, as would a box (or both together ;) ). But the difference doesn't seem worth it (to me).

Alex

Each car will be a little different different....

86AccordLxi
09-05-2003, 08:28 PM
I dont' think it makes that much of a difference car to car...I honestly don't believe that underhood temps will be much more than maybe 10-15 degrees from the fenderwell once you're at speed. Whatever,, it doesn't matter, I'm stickin with the SR and other people can do what they want....i was just throwing in my .02

Alex

tuner4life
09-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Hey 86AccordLxi
What did you do to all of the hoses that where attached to the stock intake?. This question is only good for 86-87 lxi owners cuz the 88-89 only has one hose.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Here are some pics of my Custom Ram Air Intake. If you do yours like mine you won't have to worrry about getting water in the engine.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_5_full.jpg

That first pics makes me sad b/c I loved those plug wires!!! Now I just have stock black ones.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_51_full.jpg

A lot of changes have been made to the car so I should get common engine shot updated. I got an Ichibahn polished oil cap instead of the painted one and a lot more mods.

Hope you like my custom ram air intake.

kicker1_solo
09-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_5_full.jpg
If you do yours like mine you won't have to worrry about getting water in the engine.
Or cold air :D