PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head job

modu03
09-05-2003, 01:30 PM
alright... I'm replacing my head...
I need to know where to get good performance valves, springs, rockers, cam shaft, head gasket, etc.

I'm not messing with the pistons or honing cylinder walls.

any help would be appreciated

NXRacer
09-05-2003, 01:33 PM
from my research on building up a motor for a turbo, i wont even need to get upgraded springs and valves, so just go with OEM ones. Since your motor is overhead cam, you wont need rockers. You can get a reground cam from a couple different places if you want. Do a search for em.

Everything else you just need OEM ones and they'll work fine.

StUpiD8000
09-08-2003, 08:38 AM
someone tell him...I want to know too

shepherd79
09-08-2003, 09:35 AM
valves and valve springs would have to be custom made. or you can go with stock ones.
Cams, well, read this http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17660 it should explain about cams.
gaskets, i would say go to Honda dealer.

1988starter
09-08-2003, 01:37 PM
fOR CAM SOME SAY DELTA THE CHEAPEST OTHER OPEN LOOP BUT i SAY COLT BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY ONE THAT PROVIES THE TRIFLOW DESIGN. Damn caps oh well to late now.

2old_honda
09-08-2003, 01:42 PM
I could really use a head job right about now

shepherd79
09-08-2003, 02:06 PM
i should edit the title.

AccordEpicenter
09-08-2003, 03:51 PM
dont get a na cam if you wanna go turbo, a stock cam is better for turbo then, say a triflow etc. You can do a little porting and clean up the head a little bit, but unless you have a flow bench and seriously know what youre doing, its easier to F up these heads than it is to improve on them, honda made them pretty good. Upgraded valvesprings and retainers are good but not necessary, same with upgraded/larger valves, they are good but not necessary. Id just make sure youre valveguides/valves/cam/valve seals are all good and in spec, and maybe replace at least the seals and maybe valves. If you do valves you need to probably have the seats reground or lapped or somthing.

modu03
09-10-2003, 01:16 AM
allright thanks for the input... I'll probably just replace the springs with stock ones and keep the old valves, they seem to be in good shape...

uhm... what exactly is porting the head?... I thought it was just matching the holes in the head with the intake manifold and exhaust manifold, but the head seams to be a perfect match...

also... I am probably not going turbo... so, what is a triflow??? what valve grind do I want???

1988starter
09-10-2003, 04:06 AM
A triflow design uses slightly ofset intake lobes and helps ceate more power you can check out the specs on my web site.

modu03
09-11-2003, 02:14 PM
ok... I will need to replace the valves :banghead:

I'll just use the old springs, they seem to be in good shape.

I think I'll go with colt for the cam, anyone know if it's ok to use a used cam, or will I have to buy a new one to send them?...

I also will be needing to replace the rocker arms they're a bit worn out... should I go with stock ones or would aftermarket be a better idea???

thanks for the help so far

jb2wheels
09-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Is anything else (other than stock rockers) even available for this car?

deadlight
09-11-2003, 09:06 PM
haha he said head job. Anyhoo, I can check my parts engine, I think it has some good rockers, don't know if you'd want them or not.

modu03
09-13-2003, 02:53 PM
alright... my repair manual sucks... and one of the valve guides has some pretty good scoring in it... anybody know how to get the valve guides out??? am i supposed to just pound them out with a hammer??? if so, which direction do I push it out?

also.. I am having trouble getting the valve seals off of the exhaust valve guide... any suggestions

and thanx deadlight, but Im just gonna buy new ones.

modu03
09-21-2003, 06:58 PM
alright... new valves are ground in and ready to go... now I,ve just got to see when my sister can get me into her shop to bead blast the thing... anyway...

I contacted colt cams, but have not gotten any responce from them... oh well... I'll get that done...

by the way, I need info on port and polishing my head... any help??? when doing it myself, what do I need and how do i do it?