PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem FOR REAL...

offthahook
09-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Okay, I get in my 89 lx-i coupe and turn the key as usual. ALL lights, buzzers, beeps, radio, AC works FINE. I turn the key and get NOTHING. no chirp, squeal, click, turnover, NADA. It can't be the main relay/battery/alternator-- there is NO noise anywhere. I MEAN FREAKING NOTHING!! I'm thinking starter, but I got no warning that it was crapping out. Loose wire? ANyone?? BTW, how are aftermarket rebuilt starters for our beloved zero tolerance rides?? :mad:

cruznz
09-05-2003, 04:58 PM
check the wire on the starter solenoid,..it may have come off/loose

joebeets
09-05-2003, 05:54 PM
How old's your battery? Or could be battery clamps. Take 'em off and clean 'em.

Mac
09-05-2003, 06:10 PM
If it's an automatic, might want to check nuetral/safety back up switch.

cruznz
09-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Mac

Good point!

offthahook
09-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Mac

Excellent point! My friend thought that over the phone, but I fiddled with it, put it in Neutral, etc. Still NADA. But it acts like it is in Drive for real (as opposed to N or P) cuz it is dead. Can't be the battery or the accessory power would not work perfectly. I guess the safety switch could be fouled, but I played with it a lot. Keep the ideas coming. I hope it is just a wire, but I may pick up a used starter JIC. :D

Mac
09-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks. If you put it in Park or Nuetral, have someone turn key to start. Check for 12 volts on solenoid. If its there the nuetral/ start switch is good.

Mac
09-05-2003, 08:05 PM
You can also check the starter and the solenoid. Just run a wire from the + on the battery to the solenoid wire. If starter and solenoid are good the starter will engage.

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Don't rule out the battery just cuz the accessory stuff works fine. The starter draws ALOT more AMPS (as in 100-200 amps, depending on engine and starter) than any accessory would. Accessories can still work perfectly fine, but not have enough juice to run the starter. Check the voltage, it should be at 12.4 volts or above

But also, the P/N switch is a likely culprit, as well as a dead starter or bad ignition switch. Easiest way to check starter is take a screwdriver, unplug the small 1 wire connector from the starter solenoid, and use the screwdriver to jump the terminal on the solenoid with the + battery terminal on the starter. It should crank. If it does, then the P/N switch or ignition switch are bad. Or if you have someone helping you, like mentioned above just have someone turn the key to start and check for 12V at the solenoid terminal.

Check the simple stuff too, like making sure all the connections on the starter are tight and the solenoid is plugged in

SiR
09-05-2003, 09:29 PM
If there is no sounds what so ever, check the starter relay under the dash. That has to click if its getting power.

BTW, when you select P or N, (must be real quiet) do you hear a clicking noise from the engine bay when selecting those two gears?

offthahook
09-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by SiR
If there is no sounds what so ever, check the starter relay under the dash. That has to click if its getting power.

BTW, when you select P or N, (must be real quiet) do you hear a clicking noise from the engine bay when selecting those two gears?

I don't think so. Just the actual linkage moving the gears...

offthahook
09-12-2003, 08:30 AM
LOOSE WIRE! That's it and that's all. Down at the starter though, so hard to see from the hood view... Saving the $$$ is :cool:

Mac
09-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Nice. Always good to hear an easy fix.

Vinny
09-12-2003, 12:57 PM
good find, glad yer back up and runnin