PDA

View Full Version : Where is the ignition switch?

Dia Fria Claro
09-05-2003, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure my ignition switch is dead and I'm trying to replace it. The book isn't really specific, so I'm trying to get specific directions or possibly a picture of the thing. I pulled off a panel from the bottom (there's a wire that runs from the ignition) that's held on by 4 screws...it runs down to the panel to a black box held on by two phillips head screws. That may be it but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

cruznz
09-05-2003, 06:33 PM
more like 5 or 6 wires running from ign switch, remove the 2 covers around the steering console.....a phillips screw holds the switch in the barrel....remve it....follow the wiring down to the connector and unplug it,....disconnect the battery first

Mac
09-05-2003, 06:34 PM
What exactly are you trying to replace? The ignition switch is where you put your key to start engine. Why do you think the ignition switch is bad?

Dia Fria Claro
09-05-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm talking about the electric switch part of the ignition...not the lock cylinder.

cruznz
09-05-2003, 06:41 PM
hmmm...do you mean the main relay???

Dia Fria Claro
09-05-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure what exactly it's called (I've had domestic cars previously). Basically when I crank it, the car starts; when I let the key go back to the On position, it shuts off. The engine continues running as long as I continue cranking it. Power comes from the battery (radio runs, etc.) in the On position, but the ignition coil has no voltage.

cruznz
09-05-2003, 06:58 PM
does your model use a ballast resistor with the coil?

Ahhh...i see it doesn't,....have you had any alternator probs lately?

Dia Fria Claro
09-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Is the ignition switch an all-in-one unit, or is there arelay between it and the ignition coil? I called a parts store and asked about an ignition switch...they asked if I wanted the lock cylinder or the electronic section. So, I'm thinking there must be something between the cylinder and the coil that's burnt out...

No, no alternator problems lately.

bboipinoy112
09-05-2003, 07:30 PM
uhmm .. go to pauls website and download his Service Manual .. you dont have to Download the WHOLE manual .. but just the section you would like .. heres the link that was in the FAQs section . > > Pauls Downloadable Manual < < (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html)

edit* .. i hope it helps for what you are lookin for .. but it did for me when i was seeing if my starter or ignition switch was bad .. and turned out to be the starter .. THANKS PAUL for that QUICK lookup !

Mac
09-05-2003, 07:37 PM
You can check the switch with a multimeter. Disconnect plug.Turn key to on position. On plug side going up to switch check for continuity on the white/red, white/black, blue/white. Also should have contiuity on white, black/yellow, yellow.

Dia Fria Claro
09-05-2003, 07:42 PM
thanks for that link...will it work for an 89?

SiR
09-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Did you figure it out where it is?

bboipinoy112
09-05-2003, 09:42 PM
should work .. just try and see if it works .. never know untill u check . and you cant just figure out the problem with out seeing what it really is ..

cruznz
09-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Are you getting power to the positive side of the coil ,with ignition in the "run" position?

Dia Fria Claro
09-09-2003, 09:50 AM
No...ignition coil is dead that way. I haven't found it yet...I took pics of it to post but I've been busy for the last few days. Going to get started on it again though.

cruznz
09-10-2003, 01:01 AM
are you getting power from the switch in the run position,(test @ the switch),...if not ,theres your problem,...faulty switch

Dia Fria Claro
11-09-2003, 05:51 PM
I finally found it and fixed it, but now it's screwed up all over again. Had to tow it home tonight...lol

cruznz
11-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Dia Fria Claro
I finally found it and fixed it, but now it's screwed up all over again. Had to tow it home tonight...lol

So what was the problem?????

Dia Fria Claro
11-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Inside the switch there's like a notched piece of plastic the switch uses to turn. That was worn down. I took another one out of a 1990 Acura Integra...it took several hrs, it had antitheft bars and plates and all, and it's difficult to get to...but finally got it out and just used the notch from that switch.

A new switch costs like $80. Agh. Might go the junkyard route again...