PDA

View Full Version : 3 g Accord with 4WD ??

gekko
09-06-2003, 12:07 PM
what about the idea of fitting the 4WD from Civic (shuttle) 80,s model ?? does anyone know if it would fit ?????
Just Brainstorming her =) (Alcohol REALLY helps)

thegreatdane
09-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Too short distance between front and rear wheel axles is my first thought. But just guessing... A 4WD Accord would be cool though.

3G Jester
09-06-2003, 03:19 PM
on ebay a while back there was a 4g with a chevy small block and RWD.....you wanna talk about sleeper??? hahahaha

88fasthatch
09-06-2003, 05:49 PM
i would do it. not to my baby, but to a donor car, it would be so much fun.

Grant2k
09-07-2003, 02:27 PM
there have been a couple of theads about this and i think at least one went into detail about possibilities. search for it.

Dibbs
09-08-2003, 06:23 AM
The wheelbase on the shuttle is 2500 mm. That's 100mm (4 inches) shorter than our Accords. The width is there though 1690 mm with the Civic compared to 1695 mm in our Accords. Considering those Civics used 1.6L engines, I'm not sure how the drivetrain can be adapted to fit our A20A setup. If (big IF) that can be figured out then I see this as a definite possibility.

Grant2k
09-08-2003, 08:28 AM
you could have a custom driveshaft made, which is easy, and look into the different CV shafts from other hondas that may be usable in that application. i would say that you may be able to use 2 driver's side CV shafts from our cars. but you would also have to consider the rear suspension setups of the 2 different cars. our cars have pretty unique suspension and you would probably have to figure out a way to use the front end steering knuckle on the rear of the car so that you could put the CV shafts into it to allow the rear wheels to be driven. and since you are using the front knuckle you would have to use the front brakes on the rear of the car which may require 2 master cylinders and maybe even 2 boosters, plus you would loose your parking brake. that is one option, or you can fabricate the civic parts to fit the accord. either way it's a lot of fabrication but if you have the time, patience and resources, it's doable.

fuzzy audio
09-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Um.... hello? Does anyone watch the show Moster Garage? It totally could be done. Just cost big bucks!

NXRacer
09-08-2003, 10:01 AM
i've heard of it being done on civics. an AWD civic would be sick.

toastyghost
09-08-2003, 12:21 PM
So with an extended driveshaft it would be a lot easier but how difficult would it be to adapt the other parts to fit in our wheel wells, adapt rear diff, etc?

Dibbs
09-08-2003, 01:20 PM
Good point Ghost.

It may take some pounding on the undercarriage to allow for space.

There's also a chance the gas tank could get in the way which means more fab work.

Fab work=more time & money=that much more not worth it.

Grant...
I don't see why the whole rear suspension from the '87 civic shuttle would not work if the previous fabrications mentioned worked themselves out. I would imagine the braking & hand brake issues you mentioned earlier would work out much easier that way. I think the shuttle had 4 wheel discs so I don't see why maybe using an SE-i brake setup (master cylinder, lines etc.) would smooth things out a little better. This is all Hypethetical of course.;)

gekko
09-08-2003, 01:37 PM
well gotta say u guys know a lotta shit that i don't know ... i know it would be expensive but what a kickass car it would be =)

brb