PDA

View Full Version : Temp and Fuel Gauge won't move

sparksm
09-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Long time reader... first time poster. I have an 89 LX Auto.

So, I put some glow gauges in today. Pretty simple mod that I have done before on some other cars.

The tach gauge was really easy, just slide if on over the needle and down. Secure down and seemed to move freely and recoil like it should.

The speedo gauge was also pretty easy. The screw holes on the new gauge had to be modified a little bit, but yet again... I secured it down and seemed to move freely and recoil like it should.

The temp and fuel gauge presented two problems. 1. There are no screws. 2. There are two needles. So what I did was point the needles down at 6 o'clock and then I slid the gauge over both needles at once and pushed in. I took a piece of paper and sprayed it w/ some 3M super 77 and then rubbed it in a couple outer spots of the gauge and let it set. The adhesive held really good and the needles seems to move as freely as they did before. I put the fuel back at exactly 1/2 and the temp at 100% cold.

I reassembled and wired them up. Everything seemed to work. I fired the car up and the tach and speedo worked. I "assumed" the fuel worked and I didn't drive the car around long enough to get it warm.

Well... I took 'er out for a spin tonight and temp gauge stays still and I filled the gas tank up and the needle is still at 1/2. I know the connections on the back of the gauges are good (unless you can mix/match the terminal blocks). I checked fuse #2 and it is all good.

So... any reason my temp and fuel gauges don't work? I did move them... but I did not remove them. I moved them back to where they were and seemed to do everything correct. Any suggestions or solutions are much appreciated.

shepherd79
09-06-2003, 06:11 PM
just a quess from experience, you rprobabaly broke a wire inside the gauges. they are hair thin and it is very easy to break them.
go to junk yard and get another fuel/temp gauges, see if that will work.