PDA

View Full Version : Power steering leak

FrankD
09-07-2003, 05:23 PM
I've got a leak in the metal line that goes from steering rack to speed sensor. Rather than try to replace the compression portion, I was just going to cut out the bad part and reconnect using rubber hose right to the sensor. I figure this is just a low pressure line anyway. Has anyone actually been able to replace a corroded compression nut on the steering rack. I'm afraid to destroy the rack. What do you guys do when the metal lines go??

shepherd79
09-07-2003, 06:54 PM
i just let them go. it doesn't bother me. i don't lose any power steering fluid.
you can try it. i would recomend spraying with some PB blast just to make sure you will remove the nut.

zero.counter
09-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Some tightened clamps on some pressurized rubber hose should work fine on the PS metal line. But you have to remember, there is a reason why they used the metal line in the first place.

DanG86LX
09-07-2003, 07:17 PM
"..and reconnect using rubber hose right to the sensor. I figure this is just a low pressure line anyway."

Wrong assumption, the fluid pressure in system is ~ 1200psi. That's why all pipes there are metal!

AZmike
09-07-2003, 10:47 PM
The high pressure supply line to the rack is at 1200 psi, but the speed sensor lines are likely much lower. On my car the hoses that actually connect to the speeds sensor are rubber and held on to the metal lines and speed sensor fittings by hose clamps.

Frank, are you planning to remove the whole metal line or just trim off a corroded portion? You mentioned both the end of the line near the speed sensor and the nut that secures the line to the rack. The control valve housing on the rack is cast aluminum so be careful when working with it.

jlaccord89lxi
09-08-2003, 05:00 PM
why the hell does a power steering line go to the speed sensor anyway??? I didn't think we had speed-sensitive-steering in our 3gees?

Vinny
09-08-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
why the hell does a power steering line go to the speed sensor anyway??? I didn't think we had speed-sensitive-steering in our 3gees? Thats about as good a question as why the hell do we have a cooling line for our power steering? Mine was leaking there when I bought the car. First time I ever had to pull a bumper off to change a power steering line

AZmike
09-08-2003, 06:18 PM
The cooling line lets the PSF cool after being compressed by the warm pump. I'm not sure how hot the fluid is after passing through the pump, but I'd like to think Honda put the cooling loop on our cars for a reason.

The lines to the speed sensor are for the speed-sensitive power assist. You may have noticed it's much easier to turn the steering wheel in a parking lot compared to on a highway--or maybe you didn't, either way it's there. The speed sensor is a little pump that reduces the fluid pressure available to the rack as your speed increases.

[editted typo]

Mac
09-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Interesting. I'll have to pay attention and see if I notice the difference.

DBMaster
09-08-2003, 09:21 PM
It's an older type of speed sensitive power steering that's "all-or-nothing" rather than the variable assist found on the 4g and newer Accords.

Also, the fittings at the rack are not compression fittings. They are flare fittings. If you buy the right size flare nut wrench you should be able to break the nut loose. The problem with using rubber hose is that even though the hose may be able to take the pressure the metal tube you are clamping it to is smooth rather than barbed so there is nothing for the hose clamp to "grab" onto.

AZmike
09-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
It's an older type of speed sensitive power steering that's "all-or-nothing" rather than the variable assist found on the 4g and newer Accords.

How the does continuously increasing rotating speed of the speed sensor as the car accelerates produce an 'all or nothing' steering assist? At what speed does this assist turn off?

If I remember right, the Honda manual says that the valve in the speed sensor only works to keep the sensor from raising the pressure when moving backwards, otherwise the sensor works like a pump, pulling fluid off the high pressure side of the rack.

FrankD
09-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Holy cow!.... I believe the sensor was designed to cut out power assist at about 30KPH. This gives a more natural feel at higher speeds. Anyhow...I cut out the bad line and used a 1/4 compression fitting...worked real nice!..Incidentally they are not all metal lines. Only the main supply from pump is high pressure. This is the only braided steel hose on my car.

DBMaster
09-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Well, I believe my shop manual says that it "cuts" power assist at around 35mph. After driving the car for a week without P/S I would say that you actually have some level of power assist at all times. I do recall that the 3g had a less sophisticated system that basically gives you max or min power assist (v. all-or-nothing)where 4g and newer gives you a truer "variable" power assist. I can say from experience, though, that a P/S system with the belt removed SUCKS!