PDA

View Full Version : Pretty crazy window idea

87DXHatch
06-16-2002, 09:33 PM
So it's summer and it is getting hot outside. Rolling the windows down in my hatch is easy enough but what about those back ones (me = lazy)? I find that they are a big pain to pop open.

And then I had an idea...

My parents '99 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan has motors in the back that power open the rear windows. I am wondering how hard it would be to get ahold of some of these motors, or similar ones and install them in my car, wired to a switch up front. I think it would be really sweet.

Anyone have ideas on how this could be accomplished?

Vanilla Sky
06-17-2002, 03:35 AM
just grab the shit out of an lx and throw it in... that's what i've done ( haven't tested it because i have the engine harness gone)

Derick

seancornelis
06-17-2002, 04:45 PM
The LXs have that??

It can be done, you just have to mount the motor in a way that when the window closes it will still be flush with the frame. You can probably even grab the trim panel that covers the window switches from a four door and make it look factory.

I've owned a couple of hatchbacks in my time and opening those windows is such a pain in the ass.

SteveDX89
06-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Coupes are the same too.

87DXHatch
06-17-2002, 06:21 PM
I think Derrick thought I wanted normal power windows in my HATCH somehow.

Anyways, I think I might check out some local plymouth dealership to see how much a pair of those motors would be. I think it would be a challenge to put them in but nothing too difficult. I think the rewards from it would far exceed the work put in.

I am definitely thinking about doing this and if I do I will post a how-to and whatnot.

Vanilla Sky
06-18-2002, 04:54 AM
it's that crack i'm on

Derick

88LXiHB
06-18-2002, 02:12 PM
I have always wanted to try that...:D

87DXHatch
06-21-2002, 11:44 AM
Well I got a quote back from some Chrysler/Daewoo dealer in Michigan or something. They quoted me at $48 bucks for each motor plus shipping. I guess I was hoping for less but that sounds about right for dealer pricing.

I'm about to walk to the local dealership and ask them. I'll repost in like 30 min.

I think I may still get them (even at $100+) because I think the rewards would be great. And if I got discouraged I could always sell them to someone for like 50-80% of what I paid for em.

87DXHatch
06-21-2002, 12:00 PM
I just got back from the local dealership. The guy there quoted the motors at $26 bucks each! I'm just like "yeah!" He also said connectors that attach the motor to the window are like $7 bucks each. Does anyone know if I need these connectors or can I use the stock ones in the Honda? Or something else altogether (i.e. custom job, glue, suction cup whatever)

I am really pumped now and one of these paydays, probably Mid-julys I will order some and set about installing them. I will post full how-tos and hopefully pictures if I can find a camera.

87Hybrid
06-22-2002, 07:44 AM
In the earlu 80's Datsun had a cable mechanism on the center consolw of the 310 that opened the rear windows that worked real good. It might be an alternative if you dont have the room for the chrysler stuff.

seancornelis
06-22-2002, 09:13 AM
You know, you CAN get everything you need for it out of a junkyard for less than half of what the dealership will charge you.

87Hybrid - Those window cranks in the old Datsuns were cool, but it would be virtually impossible to fit into a different car.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-22-2002, 09:49 AM
If you're poking through the junkyard looking for these little things, keep in mind that the Ford Expeditions also used those little motors for the back windows. Just a little extra selection incase you can't find the Chrysler ones ;)

That's a cool idea. Hope you can make something of it

POS carb
06-22-2002, 12:27 PM
I know the motors you're talking about, they use some sort of driveshaft mated to an off-center piece of plastic so when it spins it wobbles over and shoves the window out, not a great design but whatever. A cheap alternative would be to get the OLD SKOOL chrysler popers thet were operated by hand, you can grab ones like that off of anything with a moonroof or an Astro Van or something

87DXHatch
06-22-2002, 02:46 PM
POS carb,

I think you're missing the point. My windows work fine now but I don't want to try and break my back leaning back to open them.

As for the junkyard idea,

How many junkyards stock '99 year cars?! All the ones around here only have older cars with just a couple newer ones. I thought about that and then I realized it would be wayyyyy easier to throw down $50 and get a pair of motors.

guaynabo89
06-23-2002, 09:27 AM
The 88-90 mazda 626 had power quater windows. Try finding one of those in the junk yard. They are pretty abundant.

I also had that idea about 6 yrs ago but, decided that I liked my windows shut rather than open.

Good luck on your project. It shouldn't be to hard. The 626 also had nice switches for the windows.

lostforawhile
08-25-2007, 01:23 PM
In the earlu 80's Datsun had a cable mechanism on the center consolw of the 310 that opened the rear windows that worked real good. It might be an alternative if you dont have the room for the chrysler stuff.I just swa this old thread,and i was considering this myself. not only the datsun 310,but some of the old z cars. what i would do, get the cables and the window attaching mechanism from the datsun,also the trim that goes around it,run the cables to somewhere like under the seat, and use a small pneumatic cyl,a double acting one, and use vaccume to operate it. if you do this vaccume on the opposite side of the direction you want it to move, will move the cyl. a spring pulling the opposite direction would cause the windows to close. a couple of small vaccume valves can be set up to bleed off the trapped vaccume in the cyl when you close the window, also wiring the open window valve with the ignition would make the windows close when you turned the car off.

ryan2107
08-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Did He Ever Do The Window Thing? Or No Or Does Any Know Of Any Hatchs That Had It Done?? Would Be Nice To See..........

LX-incredible
08-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I was thinking of getting a small motor, attaching a piece of fine all-thread to the shaft, getting a tube and welding a nut on one end and a something to attach to the window stud on the other. The motor would spin the all-thread in the nut, pushing or pulling on the tube, thus moving the window. It would be simple and have no plastic parts to break.:)

ryan2107
08-25-2007, 02:05 PM
why dont u do it then i wanna see that shit happen lol

LX-incredible
08-25-2007, 08:48 PM
I just might...

ryan2107
08-26-2007, 01:42 PM
if u do keep us updated...

LX-incredible
08-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Will do. I'm going to use these or something similar: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:31&Item=150130313784

ryan2107
08-26-2007, 07:02 PM
so you think u really gonna give it a throw?

ghettogeddy
08-26-2007, 07:09 PM
If you're poking through the junkyard looking for these little things, keep in mind that the Ford Expeditions also used those little motors for the back windows. Just a little extra selection incase you can't find the Chrysler ones ;)

That's a cool idea. Hope you can make something of it

also the ford windstars have them

LX-incredible
08-26-2007, 08:06 PM
so you think u really gonna give it a throw?
Yup, already ordered some motors. When they get here, it's off to the hardware store.

ghettogeddy
08-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Yup, already ordered some motors. When they get here, it's off to the hardware store.

i imagine u can use a power antena switch to open and close them both at the same time lol

LX-incredible
08-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Yes, you could. I'm probably going to get the driver's switches off a sedan.

ryan2107
08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
nice...can't wait tooo see it happen

che3wy
08-27-2007, 08:08 AM
well one idea you can do is the the window switch from a sedan car cuz there are two rear windows that roll down. you can use those two buttons to wire the quarter windows for a cleaner look and feel

Strahan
04-26-2008, 02:39 PM
So did anyone actually do this? I am thinking the same thing, trying to think of ways to automate the rear windows. It's cool to see suggestions for other vehicles with power quarter-windows. So far it's late model Chrysler vans, Windstars, 88-90 Mazda 626. Any others?

PS, I was trying to think of alternative ways to do it. My first thought was a linear actuator, but the smallest I've seen so far with a 2" push is just over 6". That would look a little weird jutting into the cabin heh. Then my sister suggested a linear solenoid. However I'm not sure about their longetivity with a duty cycle as rigorous as what I would need (i.e. being energized for long periods of time). It would be a lower profile application though, using a solenoid. I wonder how the vans do it. Well, guess I'll have to go to the junkyard Mon and pull one and see heh.

PPS, I've contacted Deltrol about sourcing a low profile 12v DC 2" push continuous duty solenoid. They have a good selection and can do custom builds, so they seem like they may have the answer for me. I'll let you all know what I find.

Toneloc5145
04-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Pretty much every minivan i've been in has the power rear quarter windows. My mom's 95 Mercury Villager has one (93-99 Villager/Nissan Quest). Also, the middle seat windows in her van are not power, but manually operated, but they tilt out the same.