PDA

View Full Version : Techies : Some intake manifold questions

gruvmstr206
09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
What exactly does the MAP sensor do? (manifold absolute sensor) Im sure it has to do with pressure readings but a more accurate response would be enlightning. Also why is there coolant lines running to the Intake Manifold? Does it require cooling?

Thanks

Magny
09-07-2003, 07:36 PM
The coolant lines that go to the intake is actually for the carb., to warm it up in cold weather. someone else is gonna have to answer the map sensor thing, i haven't done any mechanical follow-ups since i left high school. but i do know quite a bit about our 3geez since i am literally tearing mine apart piece by piece. it still runs, just finding out what posibilities are theree for our A20A's

mindlos
09-07-2003, 07:41 PM
MAP being Manifold Absolute Pressure. The ECU uses it to figure out how much air is going into the engine so it can determine how much fuel is needed, hence injector durations and such. The coolant lines are for warming up the throttle body so that the butterflies dont get iced. If you live in warm climates it should not be an issue.

Magny
09-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Oh yeah, i forgot that only FI cars had a map sensor, not carb, :lol duh. hehe oops