PDA

View Full Version : Alright, so you have exhaust and intake.. what else is going to push some hp?

A Dawg Jr
09-07-2003, 09:42 PM
I seriously know next to nothing about engines.. I know that exhaust and intake will push up hp a little, but what are some other mods??? No swaps, turbos, or nos of course... But seriously, I'd like to know what other stuff can be done to boost hp.. just wondering for general knowlage, I don't really plan on doing much to my engine..

2old_honda
09-07-2003, 10:02 PM
header, cam

A Dawg Jr
09-07-2003, 10:06 PM
What does a header do?? I'm pretty sure the camshaft is where the air is mixed with the fuel correct??

adams86lxi
09-07-2003, 10:10 PM
high flow cat. the cam opens and closes the valves by pushing on the rocker arms which push on the valves and let the air in and the exhaust out, the header allows the exhaust to flow more freely instead of being so restrictive as the stock exhaust manifold.

shepherd79
09-08-2003, 03:29 AM
aftermarket intake manifold with biger throttle body.
header with high flow catalitic converter.
new cams, adjustible timing gear.
that is about all you can do to a stock accord.

toastyghost
09-08-2003, 06:17 AM
A balanced crank and/or aluminum flywheel will not increase power but it will decrease rotational mass which makes the motor rev quicker, so the mid and high rpm power will be available sooner. Test pipe in place of catalytic converter will mean more exhaust flow but also is illegal.

AccordEpicenter
09-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Actually in some applications you can realize almost 2.5 hp per pound difference with a light flywheel, but the car is much more difficult to drive because it revs easy and bogs easy too due to the lack of inertia

Kevin
09-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Punch out your CAT and get a header!!! You will notice a good diffrence with header and CAT!!!

1hot89accord
09-09-2003, 10:59 PM
well easy cheap hp gains and MPG gains are decent when added all together like: new performance spark plugs/wires, like they said a new cat., ignition, cam, headers, even keep a eye on the tires you buy if you get new rims or anything, those can effect your launch a lot (i seen d.o.t. drag radial take about .8 off a 1/4 mile and high perf. tires take like .3-4) but all that except the rims and tires can all be got about under 300 buckeroos

bobafett
09-10-2003, 11:23 AM
remove AC belt if your compressor is shot, also remove the compressor since it weighs like 60lbs :)

Justin86
09-10-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
Listen right here. I'm going to add on to this cause Shepered has got all the majr parts listed. Here is some o th smaller things that will help but not add like 20hp, but they will make your engine more tuneable. Also remove the A/C and other little things you really don't need or no longer work. Run an upgraded ingintion and better fuel set up. Bigger injectors and fuel pressure regulator.

modu03
09-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79

uhh... where would you get an aftermarket intake manifold and throttle body for our cars... I tried searching but didn't find what I was looking for... I would really like to know.

Justin86
09-14-2003, 07:19 PM
B series intake can be made to fit the A20

3G Jester
09-14-2003, 07:46 PM
READ THIS POST BEFORE YOU GO TO THE SITE. or open it in a new window and read along.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21957

thats some pics of a full exhaust system. plus the intake.
the header is the collection of snake looking pipes that bolts onto the front of your engine. its the start of the exhaust system. spent gases go into the headers down the pipe...at the middle of the car or so the gasses go throguh the catalytic converter and then down and out through the tail pipe.

the faster you can get these gasses out-- leaving the necessary amount of back pressure--the better. 2.25' piping is pretty good for our cars....and performance Headers...for sale at that link...are better then the stock headers....and high flow cats are available from any performance exhaust company

ALSO...a performance intake will give you increased power...an aftermarket muffler [if good] will give you increased hp. BUT if you have EVERYTHING--the whole intake/exhaust system--[intake, headers, piping, high flow cat, muffler..] then your system will really kick and you will get the most out of your intake, the most out of your exhaust and the most out of everything else.

however. the bigger injectors and aftermarket intake manifold would really help out with the increased air tht would be comming in throguh the intake pipe. and a new cam....and lightend flywheel. the lightenfly wheel is good because it means the enging is using less energy turning it.

hope that helps some...