PDA

View Full Version : rear brake scraping

qh187
09-08-2003, 08:33 AM
My left rear brake makes a scraping noise when I brake. I took off the drum to see if the pads were worn but they're not. Usually it'll either make a high pitched squeal when i stop or a low scraping noise. Has anybody else had this problem?

shepherd79
09-08-2003, 09:38 AM
use water hose to clean the brake dust. just spray a lot.
DO NOT USE ANY BLOWERS. that shit is bad for your health.
check the drum, for any damage.

Dibbs
09-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Did you check both sides of your rear brakes? I've been fooled before trying to play it by sound. That grinding sound is never good, obviously. When my rears started grinding, I had to use a brake tool to get my drums off b/c they were stuck. If you check the other side and they are both in good shape, check the rotary parts of your suspension for new scrapes. That's about all I can figure at the moment.

bigpoppa88
09-09-2003, 06:12 PM
try switching the drums, I had a low squeal I couldn't find out what was causing it, finally switched drums around and the problem has been gone for over a year........

DBMaster
09-09-2003, 07:11 PM
I had the same problem. I replaced my brake shoes (went with real Honda parts) and it solved the problem. I f'd up my brake shoes by accidentally driving about three miles with the parking brake engaged. The parking brake was so useless that I barely realized it. Now, it will actually hold the car on a hill.

Better for cleaning the brake parts is a can of aerosol "Brake Parts Cleaner" from the auto parts store. Spread some newspaper underneath if you want to keep your driveway or garage floor clean, though.

DeathRat
09-10-2003, 04:18 AM
Check to see if the backing plate is in contact with the drum too. I've seen (& expeirenced) this happening from a loose rock hitting the plate while driving on the highway.

qh187
09-10-2003, 07:24 AM
I cleaned out all the dust and it continued for a little and just in the past two days it hasn't made anymore sound. That still wouldn't explain the scraping sound. Its odd.

smufguy
09-11-2003, 01:08 PM
are u sure its from the rear? Try going at low speed and use ur hand brake. see if u hear it. That scraping sound is most likely ur pads diggin ur rotors in the front.