PDA

View Full Version : Make the engine shiny

thegreatdane
09-08-2003, 09:24 AM
How do I make my rusty engine block look shiny??
I've seen a picture of YK86's B20a engine and it looks all shiny and nice, i wanna do that. :)
I bought some engine cleaner that you put on and wash off with warm water, but i doubt that it will make the engine shiny. Probably wont even get rid of the oil... :rolleyes: :)

danronian
09-08-2003, 09:30 AM
The only way would be with prep and high-heat engine paint after a good powerwashing with some engine cleaner.

thegreatdane
09-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Can i just sand down the rust or would that hurt something? I was looking to do this the easiest way possible actually, because i hate sanding, he he. What about a steel brush? (dunno if thats what its called)

HostileJava
09-08-2003, 11:01 AM
You can use a wire brush, but be carefull, if you knock things off with it, make sure they go back on in the same place. I would spray it with engine bay degreaser and then hit it with the power washer at the car wash, anything that doesn't come off use the brush on. If you plan on painting the whole thing, you should probably sand it though.

thegreatdane
09-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Ok, thanks. I'm taking the engine all apart, so I'm gonna take out pistons, crank, oil pan and so on till I've only got the block left, and then I'll wash it, maybe paint it. But how should I wash it when the water has acces to the cylinder walls? I dont want that thing to rust, he he. Should I just wash it and dry it with a hair dryer or something similar afterwards?

Justin86
09-09-2003, 02:58 PM
I was going to ask you if the engine was out but you all ready answered it. I painted a lot of my engine parts with a ceramic aluminum paint. tranny, intake, etc. Looks pretty good.

zero.counter
09-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Concentrated simple green or foamy engine brite and high pressure as stated before will do most of the work. Just be sure to cover the electrical parts before doing so.

thegreatdane
09-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Justin86
I was going to ask you if the engine was out but you all ready answered it. I painted a lot of my engine parts with a ceramic aluminum paint. tranny, intake, etc. Looks pretty good.

Sounds nice, but does it peel off in time or does it last?