PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil pan tube

danronian
09-08-2003, 09:51 AM
There is a rubber tube mounted to the oil pan of my 3g. The engine has been wet since I bought it so I don't know if it started leaking or has been for a while. I was thinking since someone on here said it was a breather tube, that it could be leaking due to ring blowby or b/c or improperly seated valves. Is this possible, and does anyone know how to fix this leaking tube? I have a haynes and chiltons manual and they both say nothing about the tube and both don't even give it a name. Since my oil change about 4 days ago the entire oil pan is covered in oil, not alot, just not dry, so I really want to get this thing fixed before I have to start adding oil all the time. Thanks.

Vinny
09-08-2003, 10:07 AM
If it just started after an oil change make sure your filter is on tight. The tube goes from the pan to the breather chamber/box a lil further up on the same side of the engine then upto the PCV Valve http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=BREATHER+PIPE-OIL+FILTER heres the breakdown of it, the tube is #3. I just replaced the tube on mine, it was like 16 bucks from the dealer and had to replace the top elbow off the breather box (no fun) Mines got leaks like that and I need to get em fixed. I already had to replace the pan gasket it leaked like crazy, then the tube because it was all frayed and trashed and I still have some leaking from somewhere. I heard someonemention the seal behind the oil filter but not sure how often that could go bad

danronian
09-08-2003, 10:10 AM
Thank you so much, I have asked this many times and finally I have an answer. Sounds cheap to, thats always good! Was it a pain b/c of no space to work? It does look real cramped around that thing. I am sure it's not the filter since directly below the filter is dry. While I am at the dealer I'll have to buy an oil pan, valve cover, and distributer gasket and then I'll finally be leak free!

Vinny
09-09-2003, 07:40 AM
the breather chamber was a pain to get out because you have to put the car up on jacks and I found it best to take out the crossmember so you can get easier access to the bracket and breather chamber itself. You have use a long extension to take off the to bolts on the bracket then you have to take a bolt off the bracket for the wire harness and then the 2 lower bolts. I had to take the air cleaner box off to get the bracket out so you can get to the 2 brather chamber bolts. Since the pcv vlave tube and elbow were already broken I didn't have to pop that off the intake manifold, just undo the 2 box bolts and undo the hose clapm going to the oil pan and it wiggles right off. Its not to bad just kinda time intensive because of having to take air box and stuff out to get to the bolts