PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the door trim??

A Dawg Jr
09-08-2003, 01:04 PM
The peice across the front door... drivers side

It's a paint in the ass, I got a new one from the junker and I can't figure out how to get the old one off with out busting the clips.. I unscrewd that thing right inside the door, and the front part wants to pop off, but ther rest is on pretty well... is there a trick to it or what??

it's an accord of course

k-roy
09-08-2003, 01:24 PM
I believe you are talking about the shiny piece that goes across the top along the window. I used a putty knife. WIth the window all the way down use the knife to pop it up from the outside, with a little force it should lift right out.

DBMaster
09-08-2003, 01:34 PM
The shiny piece stays with the door. The vinyl padded part og the door panel lifts out from under the chrome trim. You should be able to pull it out without the use of any prying tools which could damage the chrome trim or the vinyl.

Once you have taken it off the first time, you won't forget.

A Dawg Jr
09-08-2003, 01:38 PM
No, the part that's across the door, not the window or anything, but the be long one... like 2 inches high and 3 feet long...the moldings

haha, sorry if I wasn't clear

k-roy
09-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Just to clarify I busted out the the shop manual. Here it is.
Remove the trim plate with 1 Screw (piece behind the door handle). Remove Speaker Grille, 3 scews. Remove the clip on the manual window handle to remove the handle. Remove the 3 armrest screws and 4 door panel screws. At this point pry apart the door clips (I pulled firmly and they popped right out). Then pull up on the whole panel to remove off the sill (This is when I used the Putty knife). Disconnect the courtesy light wire harness. Disconnect the power window harness. And that is all

A Dawg Jr
09-08-2003, 07:42 PM
All that just for the door molding??? Ok... I guess that's not that hard though

MrBen
09-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Anything on our cars is a pain in the ass.

DBMaster
09-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Now that I have it clear...

Near as I have been able to figure you can take the black nut-thingy off the inside of the door like you already did. Then, I believe you ought to be able to push out the threaded part and tap the back of the molding with a rubber mallet to disengage the thing from the clips. I doubt that it can be done without breaking the clips because of the way the dirt and crap gets in there and almost "glues" everything together.

You can either get new clips from Honda or a junkyard, or (as some here have done) just glue the molding back on with trim adhesive. Even when my car was just a year old my wife messed up the front fender on a carport support and the body shop ended up replacing the whole molding just because it popped out in the front. I would say this is not the greatest design. Think of how much easier it would be to "shave" the moldings if they were just stuck on there instead of leaving behind all those stupid square holes in the doors!

thegreatdane
09-09-2003, 05:25 AM
I thought mine was stuck too, so i got pissed off and just pulled like crazy and all of a sudden it popped right out. But you really have to pull hard.

Mike89Accordcom
09-09-2003, 05:54 PM
They pop off. But it's hard.

anchovies
09-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Don't just pop it off.
The best way is to take off the nut at the end. Then carefully lift it out. When you see the clip, use a screwdriver or key to push it sideways. The clip will turn to horizontal so that it detaches from the molding.