PDA

View Full Version : No Power and runs rough when accelerating

sfcmikej
09-08-2003, 08:27 PM
I have an 86 Lxi w/EFI. I runs very rough and has no power when accelerating. It will not keep a steady idle. I am getting a code 12 on the ECU. Could the EGR be causing all this? What else should I look for?

Mike

MrBen
09-08-2003, 08:30 PM
edit

A20A1
09-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Check fuses and vacuum lines for possible leaks...

Fix the EGR problem if that is code 12.

Other then that run over the basics...
- Fuel filter
- Spark plugs and wires
- Clean injectors
- Cap and rotor.
- Oil and coolant

sfcmikej
09-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I did find that vacuum line 12 is broken where it plugs in near the thermostat. Actually the nipple where it attaches is broken. I don't know what that part is but it looks as if it can be replaced. Anyone know what it might be? It is right next to the coolant bleed bolt. Also I checked the EGR Valve lift sensor and it seems ok. Is there a way to check the EGR Control Solenoid Valve? If I am receiving a code 12 which one do I replace? Thanks for the assistance.

Mike

sfcmikej
09-10-2003, 04:04 PM
OK Kinda hate replying to my own post but... I was trying to clean out the EGR with carb cleaner as suggested somewhere else on this board. After starting to see if it had an effect I noticed some electrical arcing on the distributer at one of the plug wire connectors. If I move the radiator hose near the arc you can't see the arc but you know it is there. I had checked for this earlier but didn't see it but there it is! I will be changing out the distributer and rotor tomorrow. I will keep ya'll posted.

Mike

sfcmikej
09-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the help ya'll. New distributer cap and rotor did the trick.

Mike