PDA

View Full Version : HELP need advice from FI gods!!!

damackz
06-17-2002, 04:11 PM
Ok as some of u might know i have been having alot of problems with my fuel injection. Laytely my car has died forcing me to be carless for 3 dayz now. firstly the car starts and then dies. The idle drops low and the car shakes and dies. I checked the pump today and it seems to be working cuz there is gas from the pump to tha filter, i also checked the filter and there is gas going to the filter to i guess the injector. So i think it could be a faulty injector cuz there is no gas reaching the engine. I sprayed intake cleaner in tha throat and it starts fine and idles good then dies but when i keep spraying it its fine. So please help me out i got no clue on whats wrong :sadwave: thankz!

carotman
06-17-2002, 04:37 PM
maybe there is not enough fuel pressure... you should check that too.

BoredRec
06-17-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by carotman
maybe there is not enough fuel pressure... you should check that too.

I think it should be around 31 to 35 PSI. Could also be the main relay.

fromerly89Exi
06-17-2002, 07:28 PM
hook your fuel pump directly to 12v.(you have to get into the trunk remove that plate to get at the pump) Try to start the car with the pump constantly running. If it starts, its your fuel pump relay etc. If it doesnt than you will have to check your fuel pressure, just because fuel gets through your filter, doesnt mean its working properly. When you first turn your key on, you should hear a faint whirring noise from your fuel pump. Check the fuel rail to see if that gets fuel too, there is a bolt you can undo to release the pressure. Get a buddy to turn the car on(or 12v to fuel pump) and see if the fuel rail is getting any. It took me all this to figure out my problem was my computer(salt ate through the case)

damackz
06-17-2002, 09:19 PM
ok i will check it out tomm, how do i check the fuel pressure and is there a picture showing the bolt on the fuel rail cuz i got no clue on where that is thankz for tha help :pimp:

BoredRec
06-18-2002, 04:41 PM
To check the fuel pressure there is a tiny bolt on top of one of the screws that attach the fuel lines to the fuel filter. We actually have the HONDA fuel pressure guage that screws right down into that hole. But most other fuel pressure testers have adapters that will screw down in there.

damackz
06-18-2002, 07:47 PM
ok so i got a new fuel pump changed, it and also the filter, now the car starts but it misses real badly on acceleration!!!! i dunno what to do nemore, there is fuel going to the fuel rail and everything could it be the injectors?! help :sadwave: atleast i slowly drove my car back home and its in my driveway

smufguy
06-19-2002, 09:18 PM
check the idle screw on your TB and also check if your throttle cable is tight enough. ppl had bad experiences with loose TC. so anyways, what do u mean misses badly on acceleration? like stammers? hesitates? check your vacuum hoses.

damackz
06-20-2002, 01:40 AM
it sorta like backfires but not like that exactly i dunno, took it to tha mechanic today and he put in new spark plugs, adjusted the timing and i adjusted the a/f screw he thinks its the tps cuz i know that its gone but i dun think that it would cause this sort of problem........i dunno tho

smufguy
06-20-2002, 07:03 AM
did anyone replace the spark wires before this thing happened? if so check if they are right. if it backfires, then for sure, as u kow, its the timing. seems like something might be clogged too. u can get a TPS from a junk and see if it fixes the problem. like right there in the junk. i kinda doubt it would be though, but again, i am not sure.

YK86
06-20-2002, 08:44 AM
I would definetly get a new (used) TPS first. I checked my service manual and here is what a bad TPS can cause:
irregular/low idle, poor performance (includes bad fuel economy, backfiring, knocking, lack of power at all ranges of rpms, etc)

damackz
06-20-2002, 07:51 PM
oh cool i didnt know that, going to get one tomm to see how it goes thankz :)

damackz
06-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Quick update, TPS didnt really do anything but i ended up draining my fuel tank and changing the filter once again. It runs wayyyyyyyy better now, alot smoother but still kinda misses, i guess once i do a complete tune up it should be ok. I guess it had bad gas or something thankz for the help tho :pimp: quick ? tho what causes ur idle to fluctuate?

YK86
06-26-2002, 09:37 AM
A dirty fast idle valve maybe?? Check out PaulAerodeck's service manual for the complete run down on how to clean it.

damackz
06-26-2002, 03:11 PM
yep i juss d/l it, i put in some gas treatment as well as 94 octane gas and it still misses and lacks power, got to 80km/h today, and then it sort of stutters.........i will look into that tho hopefully it helpz..........

damackz
06-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Quick update: changed the distributor cap and cleaned the injectors and fuel rail, same daymn thing!!!! i got no power and the engine really stutters i am totally out of ideas, where is the fast idle valve i checked the service manual and couldnt find it, what section?! My brakes have started to bind i guess, on one side i get harsh grinding even tho i changed my brakes a few months ago..............dunno what to do people :sadwave:

GreenMachine
06-26-2002, 10:09 PM
feel the disc for any grooves to check to see if maybe your metal on metal. Maybe that calipers seizing up, take the pads off and clean the part were they slide and put a little grease on there.

Maybe that would help, Shitty man I know what its like when its one thing after a fuckin'nother. Keep us updated

damackz
06-27-2002, 12:44 AM
ok could it be the main relay?!!?! cuz i am out of ideas it has to be something! or could it be the FPR?! plz help and yeah green machine it sucks i am going to check the brakes tomm to see wuts going on there...........

YK86
06-27-2002, 02:45 PM
The fast idle valve is beside the throttlebody (back side of the intake manifold). It has a cap held with two screws and is sort of shaped like an eye. It should be covered in the fuel injection part of the fuel system section.

YK86
06-27-2002, 08:21 PM
It's on page 12-44 on Paul site.

damackz
06-27-2002, 09:18 PM
yep found it and opened one screw and the other one is completely stripped so i got to find a way tomm to open that up and clean it.......what else do u recommend yasu? i mean it hesitates and misses bad, lacks power and stuff i got no clue what else to change could it be the FPR? i checked the vacuum lines and they seem fine.......:(

YK86
06-28-2002, 09:19 AM
Use a vise grip and clamp it on the stripped head. That should get it off. Try cleaning it first and we can throw some more ideas around if it doesn't help much.

cruznz
06-29-2002, 03:49 AM
hi ,maybe try checking map sensor.:cool:

rocky2
06-29-2002, 02:56 PM
Look behind butterfly on throttle body, see if theres bigtime carbon biuldup. Also see if you can run a code check.

damackz
06-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Cleaned the Fast idle valve and there was some carbon deposit not much tho, still getting the same problem, i checked to see if there was suction so i opened the cover of the valve and there was when i started the engine. Could it be the fast idle valve? How do i check the map sensor? and i did clean the TB with intake cleaner and it didn't help much. I am really frustrated at this point cuz so far herez what i changed :fuel pump, 2 fuel filters, did a fuel flush, changed the spark plugs, distributor cap. cleaned both the fuel rail and the injectors. Heres the problem hard time starting the car when the engine is cold, car idles to 1k then drops and turns off. After engine is warm the car hesitates and misses and lacks power! so yeah i am going to take to maybe a high end mechanic if i cant solve this problem....thankz for the help guyz :pimp:

YK86
06-30-2002, 12:27 AM
There's supposed to be suction (vaccum sounds) when it's cold but it should quiet down after the car warms up. How about taking the idle speed screw out of the TB, cleaning that and the bypass valve (where the screw was) with carb cleaner? Alot of carbon build up there could cause low idling. After you replaced the TPS, does the EFI/check engine light still come on??

damackz
06-30-2002, 01:32 AM
Nope the light is gone now, but it only went on during WOT before, yeah i have cleaned both the idle screw and the bypass valve itself, The idle starts off like at 1k and den it drops to zero causing car to shut down. What concerns me tho is the engine missing and the lack of power cause on the days i have driven it the max speed i got it to was 80 and that was by pumping the gas.........

rocky2
06-30-2002, 07:30 AM
Fuel injection also enrichs mixture when engine is cold. Then lightens up as it gets hotter. Yours is doing oppiste. Sensors and computers and electric devises make it add and subtract fuel. I'd tryed to pull codes from my 1988 lxi and failed,but it runs good. I'm not sure if you need a "check engine light" do get them.You must retrieve them somehow. Does anyone out there know a failsafe proven method of getting fault codes easy? Mopars are easy just click key switch 3 times then leave on and the codes blink.

damackz
06-30-2002, 12:01 PM
yeah u do need a check engine light to get a code from the ecu unfortunately :(

rocky2
06-30-2002, 02:51 PM
You could have a rare problem but it seems it could be a clogged converter. Run engine and feel tailpipe end for air pressure. You covered all other bases.

cruznz
06-30-2002, 09:13 PM
You dont mention if you changed plug leads or checked coil

damackz
06-30-2002, 11:04 PM
i didnt change the wires cuz they were changed not too long ago and the coil is fine cuz it sparks

damackz
07-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Quick update, took it to a good mechanic and he said the CTS sensor was dead and was filled with water. So getting that done, the water pump is gone, so are the cv boots, and alot more stuff he told me and i knew they were bad...........i dunno first thing he told me wuz my car is fuked! not good i dunno i am like 90% sure of selling it to some kid now, fuk! :sadwave:

YK86
07-04-2002, 11:30 PM
Don't give up on it. Think of it this way:you fix all the little things now and it's one step closer to having a good reliable car. Water pump, cv boot, that's all stuff that is bound to wear and unfortunatly for you, it happened all at once. I wish I could help you. I have a spare CTS and the other stuff can be bought for less that $100 CAD at Lordco. I guess it's the labour that will get you though.

damackz
07-05-2002, 01:24 AM
well the labour isnt that bad considering most of tha stuff i already did myself, would have done the CTS if i had known about it, i juss dunno i will put it up for sale and see what kinda response i get, if i dont get one that i will like i will keep it for a long tyme, if i do then bye bye first car :( its a part of me and i dunt wanna let it go but.................:pimp: