PDA

View Full Version : Help !!! Steering going bad !!!

Luis 89LXi
09-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Hi !

I start having problems whit my steering, when my car is parked sometimes its so hard to turn the steerig wheel just like the engine was no running (hard like the car was shut off and you try to turn the wheel), but other times the steering feel soft. When i running at speed the steering feels good but a bit hard to make closed turns. Its so weird b/c just happens some times.

When the car is parked and i turn the wheel and its soft, the RPM moves a bit on the tach, but when its hard to turn, the RPM on tach have no changes any, thats the difference i found.
Tire pressure is good, the fluid level is fine, the belt is fine too.

I made a search and found that could be the Control Valve on the pump or the stuck Control Valve Unit under the rack. But i don't know how to test.

Did somebody has this problem before ?? Were should i start ?

Luis

zero.counter
09-09-2003, 04:52 PM
The power steering pump may either be defective or non-operational.

johndej
09-09-2003, 05:39 PM
yeah, check your PS fluid and pump and i think there is even a belt for it that may could have messed up.

Luis 89LXi
09-09-2003, 05:42 PM
I check the PS fluid level and belt and they're fine, no leaking points tough.

Mike89Accordcom
09-09-2003, 05:53 PM
That happened to me, your belt could be bad, or your fluid is low or out. It was like pulling 200 lbs to turn the wheel when mine went out.

Luis 89LXi
09-09-2003, 06:06 PM
i changed all belts when my alternator gone bad 3000 miles ago, they're in good tension. If was the belt i guess i'll hear a niose from the engine bay, but i don't.

Just happens some times, i went to luch an hour ago and it was working fine, when i come back to the parcking lot i feel hard again.

DBMaster
09-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Could be a bad or sticking P/S speed sensor. About the only thing I would suggest is draining out as much of the fluid as possible (vaccum pump the reservoir) and replace with fresh fluid a couple of times. If you want to get drastic replace 6oz of P/S fluid with K&W Trans X. That stuff is a solvent that can unstick stuck valves.

Luis 89LXi
09-09-2003, 07:19 PM
"K&W Trans X" ? i never hear about it, is a kind of transsmision oil, could tell me more about it.

can i get this oil at autozone?

DBMaster
09-09-2003, 07:27 PM
In my neighborhood I can find it at Autozone and O'Reilly's. At Autozone it is sold in quart bottles in the rack where they have oils and transmission fluids. There is a veyr reliable guy on the "Car Talk" board that has recommended it for years. It is basically a solvent based solution that dissolves crud. If you have a stuck valve it's just the ticket. The Lucas oil stuff recommended by others on this board is good when you have problems related to expanded clearances created by worn parts. In your case it is my opinion (you know what they say about opinions?) that you have a sutck valve in the speed sensor.

Be careful, though. If you put in too much you can make leaks in you P/S system worse (1:10 ratio - 6 oz - only). I may be a poor example as I just spent a bunch of money replacing a worn out P/S rack that was 208,000 miles old. I have the funds to buy a new car, but I keep driving this one for sentimental reasons.

Luis 89LXi
09-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Ok let me get it:

I need to take out 6oz of my steering fluid and put 6 oz of K&W Trans X. whitout drain after that OR should i put the oil, let it unstuck and change the entire PS fluid ???

I'm kind of confused: What does the sutck valve in the speed sensor, if my speedometer on Dash works fine, or it plays a diferent roll ?

Luis