PDA

View Full Version : power steering hose

bigpoppa88
09-09-2003, 06:25 PM
I had to replace my power steering hose ('89 exi), I took one off an 88' dx. When I went to install it I found that on my existing hose there is an electrical connection to it where the 88' did not, I replaced it anyways, seems to work fine....what is the purpose of the electrical connection to the hose? I checked chiltons and haynes, nothing???

DBMaster
09-09-2003, 07:32 PM
It is a pressure sensitive switch that basically bumps idle speed ever so slightly when it detects pressure in the P/S system. Without it, your idle speed will drop very slightly when you are standing still and turn the steering wheel. It is not an essential at all. When I replaced my high pressure hose (with one from NAPA) the new one came with a plug that I replaced with the switch from the old hose.

Like I said, you may notice a veyr slight decreast in idle speed when turning the wheel with the car not moving. No big deal one way or the other.

bigpoppa88
09-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks Mike!

DBMaster
09-10-2003, 06:47 AM
You're welcome.

I forgot to mention for the others that this switch is only present on FI models. That's why your DX hose does not have the mounting hole for the switch.