PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank

ImportMidnight86
09-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Well this is the problem, I have 2 86 Honda accord's, I have had one for 9 month's and i just bought another one about 2 weeks ago. The one that i'v had for 9 month's has had many Mod's and the latest mod were air Cylinders. I cut out 4 holes in the back so i could Lay frame all the way around but the front cannot lay out because if it goes n e lower than it can go now then i will tear my CV axle's up. does n e one know n e other way i can make it go lower without messing n e thing up? and on the back should i just cut it all out for the tire's and arms and put Trailer fender's on the inside?

As for the one i just bought 2 weeks ago. i Bought it from an older couple. the body is in good shape but it seem's as tho it has been setting for a long time because when i looked into the Gas tank their was this jelly type stuff inside. Could n e one tell me step by step how to take the gas tank off and what i can use get all the jelly substance out without messing n e thing up when i put the tank back on? if someone can answer me those questions i would really appriciate it. Thanks.

Solo Customs,
Steven

smufguy
09-11-2003, 01:27 PM
the jelly substance is evaporated gas with dirt /moister condensed on it forming a colog.

Best way to take it out is to give it to a shop that would take rust from the tank. I would just say ditch it and get another tank.

here is the simple way to remove the tank.

Tools needed

12mm and 10mm deep sockets with either a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch drive ratchets
Liquid wrench or WD40
Screwdriver (flat and phillips)
pliers (reg and needle)

<<<Jack the car up and remove the driverside rear tire>>

Procedure.

1). Drain the tank (if it applies)

2) open the filler cap

3) remove the carpet the covers the rear of the car to access the access covers for tank electric connectors

4) remove all hoses and electircal harness thats visible.

5) go to the bottom and remove all the feedlines ((for the efi u need to use a 12mm wrench or a small pipe wrench to remove the feed hose. for a carb, just pull it out)

6) Remove the spalsh guard on the wheel well to see the hoses that connect to the tank and remove them (dont forget to remove the wire harness that connects to the tank)

7) There will be two 12mm bolts that hold the tank with straps, unbolt them and loosen BUT DONT REMOVE.

8) put a hydo jack under the tank firmly and push the tank a lil up and then unbolt and remove the two 12mm bolts.

9) remove the straps and lower the tank.

10) remove the remaining (if any) vaccum lines and pull the tank free from under the car

Hope that helps, Its a fun job. I removed both carb and efi tanks and they are not that bad, but its a dirty job cause of the dirt and oil build up.
:)