PDA

View Full Version : Want Good Replacement For Hoses

HondaBoy
09-10-2003, 03:20 PM
i know it would be a good idea to replace my manifold hoses because they are feeling kinda spongy and old. infact they may be the original. these are the ones that i guess cools the intake manifold. anyway, i think its a good idea to replace those and the heater hoses and other radiator hoses while im at it. so the thing im thinking about is getting braided steel hoses. i dont know if those would be stainless or not, but i know they would last longer than the rubber ones. have any of y'all put on those braided hoses? i have had my hoses go out on me a few times and wanted something that will last longer and look better. so should i go with the braided hoses? and will they fit right up like the rubber hoses?

87Hybrid
09-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Silicone hoses will be much easier to install and last longer than rubber hoses. It is the highest upgrade at work. I work at the Freightliner / Western Star truck manufacturing plant.

DBMaster
09-11-2003, 04:31 AM
You can buy Gates brand silicone hoses at NAPA. They cost about doubel what rubber does, but they are supposed to last longer. Personally, I can't complain about the factory hoses on my car. They are 14 1/2 years old and still in good shape.

HondaBoy
09-12-2003, 08:48 PM
yeah, i guess the silicone type would be an alternative also. but i still am thinking about those braided steel type ones.

danronian
09-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Those little coolant lines... they appear to be molded to the shape they hold, do I need to buy them from honda or can I just use regular rubber fuel line? Does anybody know how much they cost from the dealer? I might just go to the junkyard and find a car they were replaced on if they are way too much.

HondaBoy
09-13-2003, 01:00 PM
are you specificly talking about coolant hoses? or the fuel lines? if its the coolant hoses, you can go to most any car parts store and get molded shape hoses that are exactly for your car. they are usually anywhere from $8-$40, depending on which hose it is. some people i know just buy universal hose that isnt formed to any particular shape. you can use just strait or curved hose. but realy, get ones that are made for your particular car. and dont bother going to the dealership because they will over charge the hell out of you.

danronian
09-13-2003, 08:10 PM
I said fuel hose b/c I figured that would be best since it is usually made to take the pressure the best, but I am talking about the coolant lines. Well I guess I'll call around for prices, what would you call them? Molded coolant lines?

2old_honda
09-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by danronian
I said fuel hose b/c I figured that would be best since it is usually made to take the pressure the best, but I am talking about the coolant lines. Well I guess I'll call around for prices, what would you call them? Molded coolant lines?

dont use fuel hose for your coolant lines. it is not rated to carry high temp water. you really dont need the molded hoses, regular universal heater hose will work just fine. Personally, I would go with gates brand hose (I have lots of experience with hydraulic and very high pressure water hose, Gates hoses tend to wear the best and last the longest. whatever you do DONT buy dayco brand hose, it is the WORST)

danronian
09-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I wasnt talking about the heater hose though, I was talking about the coolant hoses that are near the intake manifold.

HondaBoy
09-14-2003, 08:04 PM
yes, i would have to fully agree that most any product made by Gates is something respectable enough to go into my cars. they do have a good record of well made hoses and other various products. also, their engine belts are some of the best, in my opinion.

HondaBoy
09-19-2003, 09:21 PM
well this thing about hoses comes back to haunt me. or actually my friend. ive been telling him to replace some hoses that i though needed it. well he calls me and tells me he thinks the water pump is out. i go over and check on his car and see that it leaks from up by the intake manni. we took the air box off and i found this torn up busted hose. it was the intake mannifold coolant hose. we replaced it but the engine now idles all funny. also i noticed his upper and lower radiator hoses are feeling deteriorated. no telling what else needs replacement. as seeing that this happens when you realy dont need it to, i think i may be replaceing some hoses on my car as well this weekend. mine arent easy to get to, but i think it will be worth it. ill look for some silicon ones if they have them.