PDA

View Full Version : tail lamp warning and its workin just fine ?

gekko
09-11-2003, 02:04 AM
when i start my car car and when i pres the brake , the tail lamp and hand brake lamp goes on .... and i checked my tail lamp is just fine ??

markmdz89hatch
09-11-2003, 08:13 AM
I know the A-deck tails are very similar to the hatch tails. The hatch tails have had problems with condensation (water) building up inside the lens and eventually causing the bulb to blow.

Are you sure that both your brake lights and regular tail-lights are working?

To get rid of the condensation, take the taillight housings off and drill a few very small holes (at least 3) in the bottom of each housing. Be sure to stay as close to the outer lens as possible, but not so close that you trash the actual lens itself.

Grant2k
09-11-2003, 12:11 PM
there is a little junction box on the inside (in the trunk) on your tail lights. that is what tells the car when a light goes out. that box is telling the sensor the light's out. clean any corrosion off of that box (it unplugs) and see if you get anything.

gekko
09-11-2003, 12:14 PM
i have never seen any water in my lights ... but i will double check this first thing in the morning ...when i took out the fuse for my horn ... the brake warning lights didn't come on , as well as the actual lbrake lights ...

gekko
09-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k
there is a little junction box on the inside (in the trunk) on your tail lights. that is what tells the car when a light goes out. that box is telling the sensor the light's out. clean any corrosion off of that box (it unplugs) and see if you get anything.

and where ex is that box .. i never seen it ??

markmdz89hatch
09-11-2003, 12:25 PM
it's a little black box on mounted on the back of the taillight. Take a look, you'll see it. If you have little access panels to change the bulbs in your hatch area, you should see that little box.

Grant2k
09-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
it's a little black box on mounted on the back of the taillight. Take a look, you'll see it. If you have little access panels to change the bulbs in your hatch area, you should see that little box.
right on.

offthahook
09-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Do you have a spoiler by chance?? That can set off that warning light as well. my warning light comes on sporadically, but I think it's cuz of my spoiler. The fellas are on point about the condensation as well.

jb2wheels
09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Hatches aren't the only ones with H20 problems - my 87 sedan trunk leaks a little and it runs right into the tail lights then I get the warning light. No problems after drilling though.

RustyHo88
09-11-2003, 07:17 PM
gekko, this is in no way meant to insult your intelligence, but did you check the light mounted in the rear window? so many people forget to check that one. all the suggestions in this thread are good, check all those first. if you are absolutly positive all the bulbs work, and are to the correct specifications to your car (just because they work doesnt mean they are the right ones), then there is a way you can bypass the whole system. find the brake lamp failure sensor (little black, possibly red box, mounted right next to all your bulb housings... its the only wiring harness in that tangle of wires that doesnt go to a bulb) on the drivers side. then ground the top left wire (relative to the harness being connected), it should be solid green, or green with a black stripe. grounding this will get rid of your brake lamp out light, but it also wont allow the system to tell you when a bulb has gone out. oh well, its better then having that light on all the time :) hope this helps

Mac
09-12-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm not really sure if this is the case but I believe that there is a switch in brake fluid resorvoir. If you are low on fluid the light might come on when you hit the brake pedal. Try disconnecting the wires from the cap and see if the light goes out.

Just an idea.

Grant2k
09-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Mac
I'm not really sure if this is the case but I believe that there is a switch in brake fluid resorvoir. If you are low on fluid the light might come on when you hit the brake pedal. Try disconnecting the wires from the cap and see if the light goes out.

Just an idea.
when your fluid is low the light comes on that says the word "Brake" as if your parking brake were on.

Mac
09-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah, gekko said his hand brake light comes on.

Grant2k
09-12-2003, 04:39 PM
oh, my mistake.

gekko
09-13-2003, 01:25 AM
well when i press the brake , the hand brake light comes on and the Tail light on the picture of my car in the dash ... ahhhh drunk and bad english =) i will check it now because the weather have been a bitch for a few days

Mac
09-13-2003, 06:33 AM
OK check your brake fluid level, and try disconnecting the wires to the cap of brake res. to see if the light goes out. It might be slim, but it is easy to check. Good luck.

neoblue89lxi
09-13-2003, 10:38 AM
The bulbs in the brakes have two filamints so you need someone to push the brake while you check to see if the brake lights get brighter once the pedal is pushed. One filamint is for running lights and the other comes on when the brakes are applied to make the lights brighter. Mine did the same thing as yours and once I changed the bulb everrthing was fine.

gekko
09-14-2003, 02:35 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow:

I LOVE THIS FORUM .... yepp i fixed it .... thanx all u guys

Mac
09-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Cool, that's what we like to hear. What did you find that fixed it?

gekko
09-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Mac
Cool, that's what we like to hear. What did you find that fixed it?

i'm just so motha f***** happy i found this forum , and u are all so devoted to 3g :super:
and i woulden't even think off all the mods i'm now přanning to do =)

that "sensor" that checks the light just needed a rinse

U ALL ROCK:D :D