PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft question

DarkRedAccord
09-12-2003, 07:36 AM
I am planning to replace both drive shafts. I think I read somewhere that the passenger's side drive shaft (the shorter one) sold by chain parts stores (for $59.99) does not have the DAMPER.

Is this true? If so, did anyone notice any adverse effects (like vibration) after installing the drive shaft without the damper?

Should I pay extra and get higher priced drive shaft with the damper installed on it?

Thanks in advance for all comments and recommendations.

Vinny
09-12-2003, 08:14 AM
All I know is the ones I got were the whole assembly just pull and replace no problems on mine from Advanced Auto

BootMachine
09-12-2003, 08:57 AM
I'm not an expert on those rubber dampers all over the honda BUT...a buddy of mine took them off his Gen-2 Prelude and he gets a litle bit of torque steer now. When he floors it there is a little feedback in the wheel....

Put it this way...if he pulled a burn out with no hands on the wheel it would go nutts!

I dont know if this was caused by the removal of the damper but it could have been!

ALSO...those dampers absorb vibrations that HELP wear down your bearings (in the engine).....I would suggest NOT removing them!

joebeets
09-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Only the manual gets the damper; auto doesn't need it (but it fits and does no harm if that's all that's available).

BTW my $50 axle came with damper from www.cvaxles.com

deadlight
09-12-2003, 11:36 AM
I paid 104 bucks for my halfshafts, apiece. I got a core return fee though, so it'll be 60 bucks.

deadlight
09-12-2003, 11:37 AM
complete assembly, sorry, forgot to include that, nobody probably cares what I paid.

danronian
09-13-2003, 08:48 AM
I notice a little more vibration w/o the dampner on my 5spd. It might just be in my head though. I always noticed the torque steer you speak of, I felt no increase in it at all.

cruznz
09-14-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by joebeets
Only the manual gets the damper; auto doesn't need it (but it fits and does no harm if that's all that's available).

BTW my $50 axle came with damper from www.cvaxles.com

hmmm.....both my auto's,(JDM Accord(r.i.p),'Lude), had dampers on them,...might be 'cause they were JDM B20A's?...who knows

deadlight
09-15-2003, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you always get torque-steer in front drive cars with power, It supposedly has something to do with the fact that you have unequal length driveshafts.

2old_honda
09-15-2003, 10:06 PM
is there suposed to be one on the drivers side (long one) shaft?