PDA

View Full Version : Putting the timing belt on the gears properly

89queludesi
09-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Im at the point now where Im installing the timing belt and I am having trouble getting the belt to go on and keeping the crank from moving off of TDC. Is there a proper feeding method for getting the belt on? ive been looping the belt over the cams first , the crankshaft second, the water pump third and the tensioner last. I ve also tried putting it on the water pump last because of the beveled edge on the gear. Neither way is working and im moving the crank somehow in the process. please help:wtf:

BootMachine
09-12-2003, 09:01 AM
I have not done a timing belt on my A20A yet but I now how its done....however I did do a timing belt on a Gen-3 prelude B20 engine I think.....I put the belt on the crank first (keeping the car in gear so it does not move), around the waterpump and tensioner and THEN the twin cam sprockets.

On the B20 there are little holes you can put small drillbits (or something like that) inside the cams to lock them in place. There are located right next to the cam sprockets on the powersteering pump side of the engine. You stick the drill bit down through the top and into the side of the cam to keep it from moving!

Good Luck buddy!

AZmike
09-12-2003, 01:37 PM
There aren't any pin holes on the A20 cam spocket, but the sequence listed above worked well for me when I did mine. Be sure to rotate the engine by hand to make sure everything is lined up before putting the spark plugs back in and starting it.