PDA

View Full Version : $600 for Wheel Bearing? WTF?

Longevity
06-17-2002, 09:26 PM
I work my ass off and finally save enough money for 4 new tires and had them just put on my car. I was about to start saving some money to get new fuel injectors but now they say I need to replace 3 wheel bearing on my car at $200 each for a total of $600. WTF??? Am I being taken for a ride here? Those mechanic even went on to say that it would be dangerous if it were to break while I was driving, I would loose control of the car(oldschoolswap's accident came to mind).

So how do you know if your wheel bearing is going bad? I heard that if it is bad, it makes a high pitch screeching noise when you are driving it. My car ride straight and smooth now that I have an computerize 4-wheel alignment done and 4 new tires put on and it don't make any screeching noise either. My car only have 155,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it as long as possible. I figure I better check back with you 3geez guru for any suggestion.

MoonScryer
06-18-2002, 05:37 AM
It's expensive to replace wheel bearings, but that is highway robbery. Look elsewhere.

If they aren't screaching or making noise yet, don't worry about it.

OSS lost his suspension to a balljoint, not the bearing.

dj99
06-18-2002, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a screwjob. At least they have ethics, and would only get you for 3 out of 4. :D

You could always take it into a Honda dealer for a suspension & bearing check (don't tell them anything about the other shop). It would be cheap insurance to make sure all is OK.

I agree that it would make noise or your wheel would shake or something else if they were bad.

ACCORD EX
06-18-2002, 02:35 PM
here is my story with the wheel bearings !

symptoms : A deep tone sound ( speed realted not rpm related ) sounds like a performance muffler sound inside of the car on the highway ! , wheel shaking at high speeds !

cure : you can do the job your self , but it's pain in the ass to get the hub out ( front wheels ) , then you'll have to take the hub to a shop to compress the bearing out and put a new one in !
i didn't try the rear ones but it should be much more easier !

abot going to the honda shop ! you can do it but see how much will they charge for the check up ! they car tearthe car up for you and then you'll have to do it at their shop , you know what i mean ! ?

any questions just ask !

MIKE

Longevity
06-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Good thing I check back with you guys. It seems that tire shop definitely have some shoddy mechanic. I did a little asking around several other tire shop and all of them say a bad wheel bearing would make a audible screeching noise when you are driving it. Mine doesn't make any noise so I guess I just forget about it and keep all driving. :super:

ACCORD EX
06-18-2002, 02:48 PM
whan a bearing fails you'll definetely feel it !
and don't worry if it fails while driving ! the car just want drive ! :D

MIKE

Longevity
06-18-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
and don't worry if it fails while driving ! the car just want drive ! :D

MIKE
Cool! It's really reassuring to hear that man. Next stop, fuel injector time!