PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on clutch selection...

Cat3
09-12-2003, 10:00 AM
I need to get a new clutch soon, and i can't decide whether to get an OEM clutch, or an aftermarket (probably ACT) clutch.

I'm sort of an aggressive driver, and i definitely use the clutch more than some/most... but i don't need a full out racing clutch.
I don't race my car, it will lose 95% of the races out there with it's mind boggling 98HP anyway...
but from stop lights and such i do kind of get on it, and if i need to turn onto a busy street, i'll drive it pretty hard... but for the most part, i'm pretty easy-going behind the wheel.

i don't like the rotten egg smell when i accelerate hard, and am thinking the ACT clutch would alleviate this problem... but as far as longevity goes... what kind of life can i expect from one, under mostly normal driving conditions? (The HA2-HDSS is the one i'm looking at)
will it last as long as an OEM clutch under normal driving conditions? or are they built more for abuse, with a shorter life?

I'd like to get some feedback, especially if you've owned an ACT HA2-HDSS clutch.

car info: '89 Accord DX, 4 Dr, 5Spd

Also, i drive the car all day for work... I'm a delivery driver.

Thanks!!
-Justin

NXRacer
09-12-2003, 10:10 AM
its a good clutch. It pretty much just has a heavy duty pressure plate. It should do you good for normal hard driving. It wont be a pain in the ass to drive like a performance clutch would be, but it'll still grip better then a stock one will.

Hit me up if you want one.....i sell em. check out my sig for info.

BootMachine
09-12-2003, 10:30 AM
I have an OE clutch in my prelude and I have can burn out with the best of them..no slippage problems.

I bought mine from OttawaClutch for 130 bucks!

Its now 2 years old and still working fine!

MattsAccord
09-12-2003, 10:33 AM
NX check pm

Justin86
09-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Exedy make pretty much an OEM clutch. It is a little stronger but not much. The ACT HA2-HDSS Is good if you have some mods. I'm getting a HA2-HDOO. It is the same but it uses a stock clutch plate. I have mods and plan on running Nitrious. If you want to spend the extra to get the HDSS go ahead but I wouldn't.

jb2wheels
09-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Get the OEM clutch. I thrash my 87 LX mercilessly. The first clutch "only" went 185000 miles. I have 100K + on the second with no signs of distress.

2old_honda
09-12-2003, 04:26 PM
I would get a Exedy. Somebody sells them on ebay for about $100