PDA

View Full Version : Timing

thundertank
09-12-2003, 10:48 AM
ok so can anyone tell me what the timing is supposed to be on my car? I have it set at the first mark that is above the TDC mark on the flywheel. This seems to make the car run smoothly but it feels like i lost some horses from where it was set at before. but i know that was wrong. So if somebody could tell me where the timing is supposed to be at that would be cool. Thanks guys.

James

Vinny
09-12-2003, 11:17 AM
I think its 20

thundertank
09-12-2003, 11:23 AM
what do you mean by 20 i dont see any numbers around the flywheel at all. i need to know what the pointer should be set at. thanks though.

shepherd79
09-12-2003, 11:49 AM
it should be set at TDC.

Mac
09-12-2003, 01:08 PM
That information should be on the vehicle emission label under the hood.

Justin86
09-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Well there to two different timing marks. There is the Valve timing which you set at TDC. On the fly wheel it will have either a T=manual or I=automatic. Then you have the ingnition timing. Depending on if it is Carb of EFI it will have a different #. I think it is 20 for Carb and 34 for EFI. This shows the degs off of TDC. My # might not be right but you will see them on the fly wheel. You have to set it while the engine is running with a timing light and just rotate the distrubitor until it is on the correct #.

thundertank
09-12-2003, 01:37 PM
right i have the timing belt lined up correctly i set the cam gear and then set the flywheel to the T mark, my car is a manual. but when i have the timing light on it when its running i see the TDC mark on there, it almost looks red. then i have a mark above it and one below it. on both sides and don see any numbers any where.

mindlos
09-12-2003, 01:59 PM
The flywheel (at least mine) has 4 marks in total. They are:
[list=1]
T -> that denotes the cylinder 1 at top dead center (TDC).
- -> a small dash that denotes the lower advance threshold for correct timing.
-24 -> Denotes the advance that should be when setting the timing (more like 2|4). This value varies depending on market and type.
- -> a small dash that denotes the upper advance threshold for the correct timing.
[/list=1]
Without any advance the timing should match the TDC mark. With the advance in effect the timing must match the number on the flywheel. If there is no number then you will still have 3 marks with a larger mark in the middle. It just wont have literal number.

For carbed cars: Carlifornia timing is set at 20. Elsewhere its 24. EFI is 15. If you do not have enough advance you will certainly loose power because you need to start burning the fuel before the piston get to the top to harvest max potential energy (potential->kinetic).

thundertank
09-14-2003, 03:21 PM
thanks man that helps a lot. i think i know where to set it now. so now i will plug the vacuum advance and set it to TDC.

Johnny O
09-19-2003, 07:20 PM
When you do your timing it depends on what timing gun you have.On my Lx-i timing is suppose to be at 15 degrees,I don't exactly what it is on carb cars.If it is 5 speed your timing mark has a T w/a dash on it.If your gun has a timing dial it should be set at 15 deg.and you would see the T w/a dash,and if your gun does not have a dial it would read 15 with a dash.The timing light with a dial is better for the imports.

kevins89lxi
10-21-2003, 06:54 AM
I have been lokking on my lower crank pulley for and marks and the only one that i see is a black line? My car still will not start and the intake is kicking out fumes, so somehting is really wrong. help and let me know waht to do.

guaynabo89
10-21-2003, 07:10 AM
You check timing with the marks in the flywheel not the crank pulley

BootMachine
10-21-2003, 11:12 AM
I had a problem like that...the intake was pumping out fumes from the cyls.

I did set my valve timing backwards. For some reason the engine I was working on had a mark that was for

"do not set to this mark"

not a mark that means

"set to this mark"

stupid mark.

I took off the timing belt, returned the cams to TDC, returned the block to TDC and did it up!

Timing is adjusted by looking through a window in the tranni at the flywheel

My flywheel is so full of goo you can see the timing marks so what I do is rest my forehead on the valve cover (when its not up to full temp) and feel for det. You will feel the engine ping in your brain so adjust the dist until you dont feel it...or feel it the least!

jagojon3
10-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BootMachine
so what I do is rest my forehead on the valve cover (when its not up to full temp) and feel for det. You will feel the engine ping in your brain so adjust the dist until you dont feel it...or feel it the least!

LOL that is the funniest shit I've heard in a while, sounds like it would work tho if it doesn't cause brain damage!

BootMachine
10-21-2003, 12:55 PM
someone told me to use my fingertips but when you are trying to do it in the winter you cant even feel your hands let alone your finger tips....so I got pissed off at my engine and rested my head on it and I could feel the internal functions IN my head!

So...now I adjust the timing with my big fat head!

Soon I will drop in a new engine and wash the flywheel down so I can see the timing marks!