PDA

View Full Version : Custom Headliners?

89AccordNate
05-01-2002, 06:40 AM
Since I will probably have to take out my headliner anyway to put my new tv system in, does anyone know how to make custom embossed headliners? I dont know if any of you have seen them, but they take foam (I tihnk) and put it under the fabric and it makes a raised look to it, but I dont know the process..anyone have a clue? Im gonna do it if it isnt to hard.

Nate.

offthahook
05-01-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
Since I will probably have to take out my headliner anyway to put my new tv system in, does anyone know how to make custom embossed headliners? I dont know if any of you have seen them, but they take foam (I tihnk) and put it under the fabric and it makes a raised look to it, but I dont know the process..anyone have a clue? Im gonna do it if it isnt to hard.

Nate.
I dunno fa sho, but the headliners are VERY tricky to do right. I think the factory uses a vinyl type, but the guy who redid mine said they heat them at the factory. He said he had to use cloth to get it stretched tight enough. I waNted a vinyl one, but he said "Ehh ehh." It's gonns be fun for you!!

89AccordNate
05-01-2002, 07:32 AM
Ok, I found out how to do it, Now I need to find some high density 1" thick foam, where can I find that stuff at?!?

I called the upholstry shop, he more or less said "uhm, your dumb, and I have no clue what your talking about" dumb hicks.

But he said $30.00..for foam..fuck that!

Nate.

DBMaster
05-01-2002, 08:51 AM
I think the Jap cars use a "closed cell" foam, meaning it has a really smooth surface when bare rather than the slightly rough surface of an open cell foam.

I would be really cautious using cloth for this. Even Honda's cloth headliners (like the one in our Honda van) are of a different design than American car headliners. You know, the same American car headliners that detach from the foam and hang down on your head.

We had the headliner in our 79 Bonneville redone at an upholstery shop back in the 80's. There are LOTS of places that do them because, like I said, American cars keep them in business. The price ranges from $50 (I actually saw a lot of places advertise this price in Corpus Christi) to about $150.

God luck, Nate. Let me know how it turns out.

n88accordLX-i
05-01-2002, 10:31 AM
the guy at the fabric shop is obviously a homo, they have tons of that stuff there, its used for the seats on chairs and stuff, too bad u didnt live around here because i think i still have a bunch left..

kauffman21
01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
1)rip you old vinyl off the headliner board 2)scrape any left over foam/glue that is left behind with a wire brush. 3)trace your design on the foam from paper then cut it out. 4)(in our shop we use paint spray guns as glue spray guns) spray the headliner board completely,with glue, if you have no spray guns....they sell spray adhesive in a can. 5)spray a side of the foam.make sure to read directions as different glues have different drying times. 6)stick the foam to the headliner board. 7)spray the other side of the foam and the remaining part of the headliner board and the undersiding of your actual headliner material. 8)following directions (allow to sit and dry or attach immediatley depending on the glue) attach when appropriate . the easiest way to lay a perfect headliner is to have 2 people holding the material on each end try to sit it perfectly in the middle, having atleast 4-5 inches on each side /front/back (to wrap to other side) start in the middle and rub the liner until it is tight/flat...if thats the look your going for (crush velvet users,crush at this point) wrap to the other side, cut your holes and install linerboard back into car...install domelights and handles and other things you want to keep in your headliner, and there you go..........sorry no pics.....if you need more detailed help aol IM = vampiro2121

Sabz5150
01-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Cool, I need to do the same thing. My old headliner is for crap.

BlueBead
01-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Get some pics up when you get this done! I've seen this done on doors and such, but not on headliners. Maybe do a how to and post it on this site for the rest of us. I think if I'm going to redo my int. I'll want to do details like that.
In any case, Good luck!

HondaBoy
01-22-2005, 11:55 PM
i dunno, i did my own headliner in vinal. my old one was pretty dirty, i couldnt get it clean. anyway, it was pretty easy for me. i just tore the old material off. then used some spray adhesive and laid the vinal on top. although there is kind of a technique to it. its best to sort of start from the middle or else it wont go with the curves. i might redo mine with something done underneath with that thick foam.

bobafett
01-23-2005, 02:27 AM
holy shit. alex delete this thread its a blast from the past, and now im starting to miss nate and his hillarious antics! ;)

blazin3gen
01-23-2005, 06:50 PM
^^^^

hahaha i miss nate too hahaha