PDA

View Full Version : anybody put rear disk brakes on their LX???

NOAHS88accord
06-18-2002, 12:45 AM
i got an 88 LX, and in the frequently asked section it says that i can get an SE-I and take its disk brakes and put them on my LX anybody done it? anybody got a how-to on it?

FO SHO
Noah

smufguy
06-18-2002, 03:19 PM
its not that hard to do it. u need two things. U need the read disk brak assembly (calipe and disk and hub). Second, u need the propotioning valves (2 on the driver side, below the ignition coil). replace em and ur good to go. There should be a how-to on this.

NOAHS88accord
06-23-2002, 02:42 AM
smufguy,

where do i get these parts? which models do they come off?

GDGuy11B
06-23-2002, 07:02 PM
well, like you said in your own post...you can only get them off an
SE-i. good luck finding one, i'm still searching...

gr3k0sLaV
06-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Suck people! i dont even have an SE-i and ive got 4wheel disc brakes standard!

All australian Si models ive seen have 'em.

If you want to find a set, i suggest perhaps at importing them from where they are standard.

Look around at australian exporters/wreckers that might send overseas if you can get a set in the US.

MoonScryer
06-24-2002, 06:23 AM
Of course they have them; they also have B20A's most the time too :p

gr3k0sLaV
06-24-2002, 06:38 AM
Yer, they are rare....every other Si is an A20A4....

Funny thing is I havent found any records of a B20a 3rd gen anywhere from used car guides, mechanics books, nowhere which is almost as if it doesn't exist...but it is.

Mine also has non-sealed headlights which are stock

I think only coz australia has stricter road safety laws than the US....

you realise it's ILLEGAL to drive without your seat belts here, after it that law was passed back in the 70's it literally cut our national road tolls.

smufguy
07-22-2002, 03:47 AM
sorry i am a lil late to this post. but i was out for a month. well there is a SE-i in my junkyard (the one i go to) but the left disk is fucked up cause the dude dropped it flat fast with no tires on em. braniac fool.

OldSchoolSwap
07-22-2002, 05:07 AM
I just finshed swaping my disks off my old car into the new one. I will take pics of the old arm and try to set up a "How to".

All you really need to get the disks installed is the complete arm with disk, caliper ect....

Thats it!

The proportioning valve is not a must unless you have the time and money to replace. Mine works fine with the Lx-i's stock one.

Oh! by the way, if you have a DX, LX you should upgrade the fronts and master cyl. first.

89accordlxi
07-22-2002, 05:43 AM
Hey oldschool, What about the E-brake.. How come I always hear about having to replace the e-brake cable as well. Is this true? Did you replace the e-brake cable with the se-i one?

Peace out

OldSchoolSwap
07-22-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by 89accordlxi
Hey oldschool, What about the E-brake.. How come I always hear about having to replace the e-brake cable as well. Is this true? Did you replace the e-brake cable with the se-i one?

Peace out The e-brake cables will come attached to the new Se-i rotors. In my experience Yes, the e-brake cable must be detached from the handle inside the car.
There's a few bolts on top of the exaust system that must be taken out in order to pull the cables out.
No big deal

It took me about a good 6 hours to rip the Se-i brakes off my old crashed car, then rip my drums off my new car AND THEN install the Disk brakes on my new car followed by a bleeding process. I was like " :rant: "

This was done yesterday "Sunday" I am all torn up today, I can't feel my hole body!!!:crying: Did the work all by myself :(

89accordlxi
07-22-2002, 08:11 PM
Hey oldschool. thanks man. You are very helpful. Sorry to hear about your aches and pains. That is alot of work for one person to do.
I have been questioning myself on whether to do the conversion or not. There has been a set of rear se-i brakes waiting for me at a near by yard. I have been trying to decide for about a month now and it seems I might as well give it a try.

Peace..

OldSchoolSwap
07-23-2002, 10:23 AM
I don't think it should take you as long as me because most junk yards will take the parts out for you, and all you gotta do is drive home with them, take your car appart and slap the new ones "on". Thats it!!! Not even half the work I did.:(

But I tell you... It was worth EVERY minute of my time! I'm amazed what diffrence it made after the swap.

This is a must in my upgrades.:)

catalin
08-03-2002, 12:03 AM
I was told by a few people around my area that Prelude brakes might work. What's your guy's thoughts??

88turboaccord
08-03-2002, 01:23 AM
You can see the rear disc brake set-up on my car here..

http://88turboaccord.net/car/fuelcomp1.JPG

http://88turboaccord.net/car/Current4.JPG

Nice rusty rotor huh? That is what happens when you don;t drive the car..

catalin
08-03-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by 88turboaccord
You can see the rear disc brake set-up on my car here..
Nice rusty rotor huh? That is what happens when you don;t drive the car..

So are your brakes from an Se-i then too??

smufguy
08-03-2002, 08:38 AM
holy damn justin. this is the first ever time i have looked under your car. what the hell are all those beautiful shit you have under your car? dude, we need to see more of your car underneath and under the hood man.

when u do the brake swap, i heard that u also have to swap the master cylinder. it can be taken from any Lx-i or a Se-i.

OldSchoolSwap
08-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
holy damn justin. this is the first ever time i have looked under your car. what the hell are all those beautiful shit you have under your car? dude, we need to see more of your car underneath and under the hood man.

when u do the brake swap, i heard that u also have to swap the master cylinder. it can be taken from any Lx-i or a Se-i.
He has the Se-i set up as well.
If you have an LX, then YES you have to upgrade to an LX-i or Se-i Master Cyl.

I'm not sure about the prelude disks being compatible.