PDA

View Full Version : Seat stench

danronian
09-13-2003, 09:16 AM
I bought this pair of seats out of two accords at the junkyard a week or so ago. I spent most of my free time this week cleaning them and I steam vacummed one of them. Now i have them intalled and the drivers side one smells soo much like dog piss. I think it is b/c the water from the steam vac sucked out the smell that was inside the seat to the outside of the seat. I used Oust! on the whole interior and a whole lot of it on the seat. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the smell out?

Coitis1
09-13-2003, 07:47 PM
fabreze

DBMaster
09-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Try a carpet/upholstery cleaning machine with one of the detergents specifically intended for odor removal (or,pet stains/odors).

Also, when the car is outside leave the windows down as much as possible, or remove the seat and leave them outside as long as you can to air out. Some of the stench may just be mold or mildew accumulate at the j/y.

MrBen
09-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Your seat may still be wet inside. Just let it air out.. it may take a week or so to completely air out. If it still smells after that, try an odor-killing spray, on the upholstry and the foam inside. If you really want to do something about it, wrap all of the foam in a giant plastic bag, then put the upholstry back on.

danronian
09-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Also, when the car is outside leave the windows down as much as possible,

I figured that would help but the college I attend has about 3 car thefts a week and since I have no theft insurance, this is not a good thing for me to do. Especially b/c I have a non-stock HU which might make someone believe there is something in my trunk to steal also. So far I have used a good spray of that oust daily and it is working real well. I think that is also due to the drying of the insides of the seat. As always, thanks for the input.

Leviathant
09-15-2003, 07:48 AM
When I bought my DX, I cleaned about two dozen beer bottle caps out of it. It didn't smell at first, but I did a shampoo job, and after I vacuumed all the suds up, the car smelled like vomit and booze. So over the next week, I just febreezed the hell out of it, and drove with the windows down all the time.

I also bought two boxes of Baking Soda, poked holes in the top, and sat them underneath the seats.

Car smells alright now. Certainly doesn't smell like puke.

danronian
09-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Well the odor is almost gone in my car, you can still smell it a little bit though. But IMO it was well worth it considering the back support and bolsters the new seats have.