PDA

View Full Version : Shift Rod Dust Boot

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-13-2003, 12:34 PM
Hello everyone!

Here is the problem:

The dust boot on the shifter rod at the transmission is torn. Is there a way to replace it without having to take the tranny apart and remove the shifter rod? I know that you can buy CV axle boots that go on without any disassembly, but can something similar be done for this problem? I am going to try and use some tape to seal it up until I can find a better solution to the problem. Any replies are appreciated. :D

danronian
09-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Mine is the same way but to me it doesn't look like it really matters except that joint is exposed. Maybe I'll just lather some grease on it so it doesnt rust.

PhydeauX
09-13-2003, 08:45 PM
You have to take the tranny completey apart to change it. There is another seal on the rod anyway so its not the end of the word if the little boot tears.

andy

AZmike
09-14-2003, 12:09 AM
I replaced mine (with some help from PhydeauX) and it was a bitch. Unless you're obviously leaking oil don't bother. I thought mine was but after cleaning everything up (after replacing the seal and boot) I found that the speed sensor has been leaking PSF that likely ran down on to the shift shaft.

Mac
09-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Mine's ripped too. When I realized what it would take to repair I blew it off. That's an awful lot of trouble to change a boot. I wonder why Honda did it that way.