PDA

View Full Version : tranny syncro's going, I think

danronian
09-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Ever since I had the car, about a year now, going into 2nd was always a little wierd. Lately whenever I shift into 2nd it makes a little click which I know is a really small grind. I am pretty sure this means the syncro's for 2nd are ground down and almost gone. Now if I double clutch to get 2nd gear the same speed as 1st gear, would that allow me to shift w/o grinding up 2nd gear? I tried double clutching into 2nd tonight and I am pretty sure there was no grinding at all, but that could be do to the lower rpms due to the long amount of time it takes me to double clutch since it was the first few times I tried it. Any opinions/ criticisms. This is probably a totally stupid assumption I made but I figured it woudnt hurt to ask since it makes sense in my mind.

dosh8er
09-13-2003, 09:13 PM
can you adjust the clutch a little better? that can be the problem sometimes.. the clutch may not be disengaging all the way, causing the gear to have some rotation still...

OR.. ( i should say AND)

check your man trans fluid.. it should be right at the threads of the fill hole (almost pouring out.. too much is no such thing in these trannys)
That could be causing problems...

either way, i'd strongly suggest AGAINST 'double clutching' as you call it (dunno, that's prolly right.). That will tear yo shiznizzle up fo shur!

danronian
09-14-2003, 06:29 AM
Well the clutch is adjusted so it is fine for all of the other gears but I could try adjusting it more.
Double clutching is a valid practice on cars w/o synco's, but I don't see how it is bad for the car since it actually goes in smoother and with less noise if I do it for going into 2nd. (I mean if you could tell me why it is bad for the car, please let me know. I know it would be bad since your using the clutch twice instead of once to go to 2nd, but I would rather put a little more wear on my clutch then entirely lose 2nd.)
I also just topped off the fluid about a week ago.

Morpheus
09-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Its starting to happen with my thrid when I shift at higher rpm's. I just keep the clutch in longer and make sure its completely into gear before I let out.

ACCORD EX
09-14-2003, 12:38 PM
you can always double clutch till you fix your syncro's ! very old cars didn't have syncro's and they could live with that !

but first check tranny oil , and clutch !

Mike !

danronian
09-14-2003, 06:29 PM
For mine unless the rpms are under 2K it grinds. Thanks much for the input Mike, dosh8er had me scared about screwing up the tranny.

Since there is only one gear that I have trouble going into w/o having real low rpms or double clutching, is it still a good idea to adjust my clutch? Is there anything I should be warned about before doing so?

dosh8er
09-14-2003, 07:23 PM
what type of oil are you using inside transmission? you said you topped it off a week ago, what did you put in? it might be a good idea to go with a manual trans oil (like the stuff from honda, its expensive, but very good).. or something lighter (instead of using 10w40 or higher, go with something lighter... 10w30.. good allround viscosity oil for trans)

Sorry if i scared you on the double clutch thing.. i thought you were talking about something else, and i was quite out of it when i posted.. (been working on engine swap all this weekend.. and DONE!)

Look at the oil... I have had problems with certain gears in the past also.. similar in nature. it just might be wear and tear catching up.. nothing you can do for that..

but check the oil... and play with the clutch.. it can't hurt to adjust it... (mark it, and if you don't like it.. move it back to where you had it)

danronian
09-14-2003, 07:48 PM
I drained it last january and replaced it with 10w30 and topped it off with the same.

The oil looked fine last year, nice and clear, and when it came out after topping it off this year it looked just as clear.

Well I'll try adjusting the clutch this week as soon as I fix my trunk rust and put my trunk back together. Thanks for the input.

87AccordsterLx
09-15-2003, 09:38 AM
I moved this to technical in hopes that more people would respond. :)

danronian
09-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks.

Leviathant
09-15-2003, 10:53 AM
My tranny makes a clunky noise when going from second to third, but when I double-clutch, the transition happens very smoothly. I figure it's just the synchros going out on mine as well. I've got about 144,000 miles on the car, although they're very hard miles, as the prior owner was pretty rough on the car.

I'm counting on the clutch going out in the next year or so, so in my case the point is pretty much moot, but it seems the only (cheap) thing I can do at the moment is double-clutch between 2nd & 3rd.

danronian
09-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Yeah I have been pretty hard on my car also considering I just learned to drive stick on this car which appears to have the original clutch at 151K mi. I am also sure that 2nd got ground a few times so I knew this would come. I just hope that a tranny will be worth replacing when the time comes, I can't see throwing away a car with an almost completely new suspension/brakes, and a engine that burns no oil.

1988starter
09-19-2003, 07:33 PM
when My second gear syncro was going bad I drained the fluid and added 1 bottle lucas transmission fix and filled the rest about 1.5 bottles honda brand MTF huge difference I had grinding going into 3rd and 2nd and it because much better 15k later I got my tranny redone and I was told 2nd and 3rd syncrows were almost compleatly shot but with the lucas I was still shifting well.
you can get it at pepboys nappa autozone ect and probably crappy tire in canada (but not sure)
www.lucasoil.com

http://www.lucasoil.com/Product_Details.cfm?Product_ID=12