PDA

View Full Version : Need an amp for Alpine type R!!

89AcCOrDmike
09-13-2003, 11:25 PM
After my subs blew with my old system i decided to say fack it and buy a whole new system, I'm looking at buying 2 of the alpine type R's 12's...but i need to know a good amp to match these subs, if anyone has suggestions of any type of amp (try to keep it a reasonable price) or can tell me what amp will run these bad boys with the most bang for my buck, please, let me know! thanks again!

here's some stats if that helps:

KevlarŪ-infused pulp cone
1" Santoprene rubber surround
dual 4-ohm, 2" voice coils
frequency response 24-1,000 Hz
power range 100-300 watts RMS (150 watts RMS per coil)
peak power handling 1,000 watts
sensitivity 87 dB
top-mount depth 6-15/16"
sealed box volume: 0.7-1.0 cubic feet
ported box volume: 0.75-1.75 cubic feet

and also, i have 4 gauge wiring throughout my car, i'm hoping thats all i'll need, just let me know!:wave:

shepherd79
09-14-2003, 03:48 AM
get alpine monoblock 500watt. that should be enough.

bburtonsk8r
09-14-2003, 08:13 AM
you can get a profile 1200 watt amp that will run 300 watts into each which is the rms. the amp will run you about 180 dollars and pump the subs as much as they need. profile california 1200 watt, look on ebay

catalin
09-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
get alpine monoblock 500watt. that should be enough.

89AccordMike don't make the same mistake like most people I talk to. Don't buy a 2ohm mono block amp, you won't be able to wire up the subs efficiently to the amp.

If you're going to use two DVC 4ohm subs then the best way to do it is with a stereo amp, since your subs will wire up to a 2ohm stereo load.
Best rule of thumb Mike is go with as much power as you can from a reputable company like, ALpine, Phoenix Gold, MTX, PPI, Swiss Audio, etc.............

89AcCOrDmike
09-14-2003, 11:23 AM
so whats a good specific amp to get then?

AccordEpicenter
09-14-2003, 03:23 PM
yeah those profile 1200s suck, the smaller profiles are ok tho but the big ones suck. Alpine amps are way overrated, but their subs and hus kick ass. It depends how much money you have to spend, if i were you and had the money id say either Phoenix Gold or PPI, or even HiFonics Zeus etc. Generally you get what you pay for.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-14-2003, 04:34 PM
How much do you want to spend on the amp?

89AcCOrDmike
09-14-2003, 08:22 PM
400$ is idealy my top number, but i could go over that....what is so bad about the profile california? no sq?

Hash_man_Se_i
09-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Personally I would go with an Audison amp. I just got one, and damn that thing is sweet. It puts out 420W RMS at 4ohms and would probably be perfect for you type R. And one of the best parts is that they come from the factory with a 3year warranty.

Oh yea, I have the LRx 2.250.

89AcCOrDmike
09-15-2003, 06:59 PM
okay, i think i found an amp that i like the price on and it has all good reviews, it also seems like it could power the 2 alpine type R's, here is a link, tell me if you guys think it would work..... http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/JBLBP12001

and here is a link to the stats on the subs...

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-e9cbaA7RZVO/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67700&I=500SWR1241&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

of course I will have to get a cap too, so any recommendations on that are greatly appreciated, and don't worry i won't be buying from crutchfield, i'm gonna get a better deal than that! i'm planning on running the two alpines off the amp at 4 ohms....so let me know whats up guys!!! thanks!!!

Hash_man_Se_i
09-15-2003, 07:19 PM
That amp looks like a good choice. Good power too.

And for a cap, I would go with a Monster Cable cap.

Vinny
09-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Not really sure why you'd want a mono amp if you have 2ea 4ohm dual voice coil speakers. My opinion is your never going to get all the bang out of the speakers with a mono amp that will only goto a 2ohm. Running 2 speakers w/dual 4ohm voicecoils in Series/Parallel your total load is 4 Ohms Since the amp is a mono amp capable of only running 2 or 4 Ohms you defeat (A) the purpose of having dual voice coils or (B) the Purpose of buying a mono amp. All you will see running your speakers with a mono amp thats 2 ohm stable will be the 4 ohm output of the amp. You might be better off and cheaper off by buying a 2 channel amp thats 2 ohm stable and running each sub Parallel giving you a 2ohm load on each channel, doubling the normal 4 ohm rating of the amp at a cheaper price. Just my opinion do what you will with the info you have. If you have your heart set on one thing then your going to get it no matter what we say. Just enjoy YOUR system

89AcCOrDmike
09-15-2003, 07:26 PM
my cousin vinny, would it make a difference if i got the 2 ohm type r's instead of 4 ohm??

Vinny
09-15-2003, 07:35 PM
if you get the 2 ohm and run series parallell than you will see 2ohm for the load of the box. So yes for that matter you would. It just depends on opionions as to what you like. Dual Voice coilsgive you flexibility on how you wire a system up. To be honest if you are going with a mono amp then you may want to go with (2) single 4 ohm subs, giving you a 2 ohm load to the amp, which is well in the range of the amp you want

Parallel: A dual 4-ohm voice coil subwoofer with its coils wired in parallel presents a 2-ohm load to your amplifier. Since an amplifier produces more wattage at a lower impedance, the parallel connection ensures you'll get the most output from your amp. In the same fashion, if you have a stereo amplifier and two DVC subs, wire both subs for 2-ohm impedance (one per channel) for maximum output.

Series: Series wiring lets you configure multiple woofers to one amplifier at an acceptable impedance. Wire both coils in series for an 8-ohm impedance, and then wire two 8-ohm subs together in parallel for 4-ohm total impedance (perfect for most 2-channel amps bridged to mono operation). Another example: if you have a high-powered 2-channel amplifier, wire four 8-ohm subs per channel (each channel sees a 2-ohm load).

88 Accord DX
09-15-2003, 07:39 PM
i was going to get 2 type-R's too but then i found the HX2's same price but 500W RMS. match it with the 501 BD amp and you have a perfect match.

89AcCOrDmike
09-15-2003, 07:42 PM
how about this amp....its a two channel amp, that would work better for the 4 ohm type r's correct?

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROC851S

Vinny
09-15-2003, 07:47 PM
if you wanted to wire all the voice coils up and get the lowest possible ohm load that you could then sure that would work, no offense Mike But all this thinkin's making my head hurt So i'm gonna surrender and say I give for the night

catalin
09-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 88 Accord DX
i was going to get 2 type-R's too but then i found the HX2's same price but 500W RMS. match it with the 501 BD amp and you have a perfect match.

Actually it's a terrible match since the HX's are dual 4ohms... cousin Vinny has explained it all for you in the previous posts.

PogiLXI
09-17-2003, 03:07 AM
get an orion 275 g4. it will kick the shit out of those alpines.

shepherd79
09-17-2003, 03:50 AM
Yes, orion will kick the shit out of Alpine but they don't have any SQ.

the only priblem with stereo mode for the subs is that they will hit at diff times, because sound travels to each channel at diff freq. they will hit hard, but you won't see good SQ level.
I would recomend dual 2ohm subs and run them in 2ohm setup on JBL amp.

catalin
09-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
Yes, orion will kick the shit out of Alpine but they don't have any SQ.

the only priblem with stereo mode for the subs is that they will hit at diff times, because sound travels to each channel at diff freq. they will hit hard, but you won't see good SQ level.
I would recomend dual 2ohm subs and run them in 2ohm setup on JBL amp.

Huh? Bass is tottaly mono man it really doesn't matter... and anyways that JBL amp will do 1ohm, so DVC 4ohm will do just fine.