PDA

View Full Version : 4 6x9s?

89accordLXiAllAudio
09-14-2003, 04:43 PM
i know that you can put 2 more 6x9s in the rear deck by cutting out that fabric stuffing shit. Has anyone done this yet? if so, how did it affect the sound? was the sound from the back overwhelming? also, how could you wire these up? by the way im running the existing 6x9s off an amp right now. thanks for input:flash:

zero.counter
09-14-2003, 05:10 PM
It would destroy the soundstage. If anything is to be in the rear deck, MID-BASS drivers would make an excellent filler. If you are a BASS-HEAD and care not for the tonal quality or have an appreciation for the depth of a good sound system, then what you have described may be good.

BTW, I have 2 buddies who owned a stereo shop a couple of years back. They did what you suggested to a couple of customers cars with various configurations. Even with crossovers in place to disperse or help so in soundstage, it was distorted and not very clean. The combinations ranged from QUAD 6.5s to QUAD 6X9s on different cars. They wired by using stereos with multiple RCA outs and in combination with the line outs, were able to utilize the four speakers plus the two in front and a sub.

I distinctly remember 1 which had that setup with a 4 channel amp. Two channels helped the extra rear 6.5s and the other channels powered a sub in bridge mode. The front separates were powered by the stereo (as per the customer's request) and had to be matched to the GAIN of the amp so as not to overpower too much. Didn't help though, IMO.

89accordLXiAllAudio
09-15-2003, 06:21 PM
hey educate me about what you mean by mid bass drivers. also, my rear speakers are already overwhelming, i have no amp for the front, so im not too worried about that. however i do care about tonal quality, but dont understand how it would be affected. help a brother out

POS carb
09-19-2003, 12:58 PM
4 6x9's to an amp wired parallel will give you great thump for the money but that fabric shouldn't be the only thing holding them up

wallyyfm
09-21-2003, 07:33 AM
dude, i did that a long time ago, like 99 when i had my first 3 g, jsut point them like this ( ) and leave the super tweeter closest to the window