PDA

View Full Version : How to make a stock muffler louder??

jayp6969
09-14-2003, 05:31 PM
can i just drill a hole in it, or is there a better way....i dont have the money right now to get one of those cherry bomb exhausts

johndej
09-14-2003, 05:35 PM
why not just save your money and by your car something to make it fast instead of making it loud to draw attention and such.

zero.counter
09-14-2003, 05:40 PM
You can gut the current muffler and weld it back and it will be loud...J/K Actually, remove the muffler and it will have more noise...HeHe

jayp6969
09-14-2003, 06:16 PM
cause racing doesnt appeal 2 me looks and sound does

jayp6969
09-14-2003, 06:17 PM
but what if i drill a hole, will it be louder?

danronian
09-14-2003, 06:25 PM
It sure will, but it won't be deep sounding. Just think of a trumpet vs. tuba effect.

Cyric_accord
09-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Get a Stainless Steel or some DTM Universal muffler for like 40 bucks and put it on, cause It'll sound like shit if you put a hole in the muffler or pipes... I know

jayp6969
09-14-2003, 06:28 PM
its got a 1 year old stock muffler on it now...i see no point in buying one now....im gunna buy one that is proper after winter....how big should the hole be and where should i put it

Cyric_accord
09-14-2003, 06:34 PM
where do you live? Because if it snows, or rains heavily... it wont matter, that stock muffler is gonna rust thru like a b*tch, and fast. I had a hole right after the header, in a flex pipe and it sounded shitty... I can't tell you where to drill because you'll get different tones in certain places and hole sizes. But if you do this, you'll lose back pressure in some places and lose horsepower

jayp6969
09-14-2003, 06:43 PM
well i aint racing so it doesnt matter bout horse power....and i live in canada....ontario....i blew a hole in the last muffler and it sounded mint then....but i dunno i will do a small hole in it first and then try a larger one depending on the sound......after i do my emissions test of course

danronian
09-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Well since you already have the muffler, you cant really loose, so go for it!

Mike89Accordcom
09-14-2003, 07:07 PM
poke a hole in it....

DaveC
09-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Dude your a dumbass for askin such a dumbass question.Im trying my best to make a car quite and your gonna ruin a perfect exhaust to become another Honda ricer.

zero.counter
09-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by DaveC
Dude your a dumbass for askin such a dumbass question.Im trying my best to make a car quite and your gonna ruin a perfect exhaust to become another Honda ricer.
Hey there brutha. I know that you are new, but flagrant insults are a bad thing.
FORUM RULES (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16068)

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THIS PART:
Member Conduct

1. You will not post any messages that are discriminating, obscene, hateful, threatening, or otherwise in violation of any laws.

2. Fellow Members are to be treated with respect at all times.

C'YA
:lol

danronian
09-14-2003, 07:56 PM
DaveC how do you go about quite(ing) a car? You should watch who you call the dumbass.

Magny
09-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by jayp6969
its got a 1 year old stock muffler on it now...i see no point in buying one now....im gunna buy one that is proper after winter....how big should the hole be and where should i put it

I put a 1" hole inside the cat., and the sound difference(IMO)is to my taste. You can use the cat as the toner. I doubt that all cat's for our 3geez are the same, but I had to go through 3 plates of honeycomb catalyst inside the cat. You can make it bigger to let more sound pass to match your taste, but remember that when it comes to emissions time, buy a spare cat and swap them. when you are done swap it back.

FYI, when I put the 1" hole in my cat, I got a considerable jump in HP with some backpressure in the system. (although you arent interested in HP, i thought I'd let you know)

Magny
09-14-2003, 09:41 PM
BTW, i forgot to mention. Use a piece of steel pipe that is 1" wide not round, and at least 1 1/2 feet long. move the muffler piping by pulling the cat towards you after unbolting (you dont have to remove the rubber mounts, just unbolt it from the header down-pipe and pull it). once you have it towards you, stick the pipe in it and use a sledge hammer (5lb one will work) to punch the holes. then rebolt it up and enjoy.

NOTE: BTW, be prepared to see a cloud of catalyst and pieces shoot out the muffler (if you have a straight through), if you have a muffler with baffles in it, you may have to remove it and shake the shit out of it to get all the pieces out. otherwise you will have a rattler of a muffler lol.

blazin3gen
09-14-2003, 10:29 PM
yo if i can give u some advice i spent 59 shipped on my muffler off of ebay and its an Apexi N1 so it wasnt a bad deal and it sounds real good. and about pokin a hole no way man it will sound like shit bro belive me.. so hit up ebay man!

kicker1_solo
09-15-2003, 12:20 AM
I had a mazda that the muffler rusted out on it so I just took it off, it sounded pretty cool. Maybe just try taking your muffler off, no sense in poking holes in a fairly new muffler. Your car would sound nice and loud with the muffler off and you could sell it to help pay for an aftermarket one. :)

jayp6969
09-15-2003, 03:43 AM
but then u get stopped by the police

TJ89Accord
09-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Sounds like a stupid idea to me. But if you want people to point and laugh at you for "making your car cool", than go for it... Grab a screw driver and go nuts...

Vinny
09-15-2003, 08:40 AM
ok I'm lost. You say you want to be louder but you also say your worried about the cops. Guess this is just my opinion and take it for what its worth. If I were you I'd wait til I have the money to get what I wanted if theres nothing hella wrong with what you have. Why waste time if its not what you want. If you p[oke holes and its too loud then what ya gonna do??????? Speed tape the holes???? Just wait or thats my suggestion

dXsquared
09-15-2003, 08:51 AM
go to canadian tire and spend 30 bucks on a RAPTOR muffler... stock looking, cheap as hell and its real nice sounding

Travis

POS carb
09-15-2003, 09:29 AM
just grab a drill and start opening holes until you like the sound, but you can get a universal muffler from Summitracing.com for like $30 :werd:

87AccordsterLx
09-15-2003, 09:41 AM
A friend of mine has a 3g and his muffler fell off... it sounds great. I would take a saw to it start saving your money for another muffler.

POS carb
09-15-2003, 02:20 PM
not even man I had removed my catback for some painting and I drove my car with just half the pipe after the cat (diconnected by the right-rear wheel, 2 bolts) and I couldn't hear a damn thing by the time I got home so you can do that and put it back f it gets annoying or if you get a ticket. It sounds MUCH better than holes in the exhaust but be warned, it's mean and it's LOUD!!! :super:

here I attatched a text recording of how it sounded:
brrrrAAAAAAAAAAAAmmpPApmpapapammmmmm

blazin3gen
09-15-2003, 02:44 PM
yea u can do that just run a straight pipe but if u have to go through emissions like me! them dont do it.

and about the cops the muffler comes with a silencer just in case just in case anything happens ;) ill be like o yea i lost the screw but i have one comming in the mail and it will go on ASAP lol :D

al010101
09-19-2003, 11:43 PM
simply get a hacksaw (dollar store) and chop that sucker off....i have my caddy and my ranger straight piped...nothing like the growl of a 472ci big block hahaha...wakes the cops up anyways..

oh and you can't afford a cherry bomb? they're 15$ NEW! or goto a junkyard and find one off many old wannabe muscle cars for a buck or two.

1988starter
09-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jayp6969
can i just drill a hole in it, or is there a better way....i dont have the money right now to get one of those cherry bomb exhausts

Ricers make baby jesus cry

zero.counter
09-20-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
go to canadian tire and spend 30 bucks on a RAPTOR muffler... stock looking, cheap as hell and its real nice sounding

Travis
Yeah, that was the first thing I changed on my car when I bought it. The good ol' raptor.

Coitis1
09-20-2003, 07:57 PM
lol, its kinda funny to see this thread. Last winter i had a hole right at the beginning of my muffler and i swear to god that is sounded like a performance exhaust. I kept it that way for months, but eventually i got tired of how loud it was. I have to drive up a hill on my home from school everyday. Theres a stoplight at the bottom of the hill(this is on a major street), and i usually don't get lucky enough to make it through that light at that time of the day. So going up that hill w/o a running start was hell on me b/c my exhaust was sooo loud. I couldn't even hear my stereo w/o rolling up the windows.
Back on subject. I've never intentionally put a hole in a muffler. Be careful where u put it. For some reason in my mind, i see something like this as something that can only happen naturally. Like part of the muffler rusting out. If u put the hole in the muffler urself, i don't think it will sound as good. I think that made no sense, but i'm tired as hell. WORK SUCKS!!

87AccordsterLx
09-21-2003, 12:47 AM
I went over to my uncle’s shop In Louisiana about 1 month ago... we were messing around with my car and we decided to unbolt the cat-converter and run the car with just the flex pipe. It was EXTERAMELY LOUD! Compare that to my friend who's muffler fell off and you would think that my friends car was whispering. My friend has stock piping, resonator, cat-converter and compared to my 2.25 w/ no cat, no res. and dynomax S Turbo our exhaust sound is almost equal. That little bit of extra pipe really makes a difference as far as the loudness is concerned.

Im sorry if that didn't make sense... :)