PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner Servicing

PandA
09-14-2003, 09:23 PM
Hi,

When I had my Air Conditioning regased about 2 years ago (cause it was blowing warm), they converted the gas to the new environmentally friendly refrigerant.

They also told me that I should have the Aircon serviced every 18-24months to ensure the pressure is ok, ensure no leaks and to change the filter etc.

Prior to my re/new gas 2 years ago I had never regased since I bought the car in 1998.

Do you have to have the AC serviced periodically or is it just the garage trying to make some more money from me.

BTW the aircon is currently blowing quite cold and kicks in fairly quick even on a hottish day.

Thanks, PandA

Magny
09-14-2003, 09:36 PM
lol, I like these post's, just let it stay that way until it blows heat again. you will be saving hella. but it is wise to know where and how to check your system periodically yourself, instead of takin it to a service tech.

Mac
09-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Yep, it never hurts to check things out every once in a while, but really no need to service A/C unless you are having a problem with it. Once you notice it's not cooling anymore then it's time to check the freon level and for leaks. Until then just use it when you need it. Most car manufacturers recommend that you run the A/C at least once a month for a short period of time to keep the oil circulating and the O-rings lubed.

shepherd79
09-15-2003, 02:02 PM
you can check the system yourself.
if you have hayne's manual, you can find the HOW to check AC.
if not:
locate the AC window ( it is next to the Power Steering Reservoir, it is on the bottom. it has metall lines going into and out. it will have glass window).
start the car. let it warm up to normal operating temperature.
turn the AC on full and look at the window.
if you see air bubles, take it to the shop.
it is smoth flow, you have no problems.

PandA
09-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks for that guys.

Was thinking that the service may be a bit of a crock.

I went so far as calling my local Honda dealer where I get the car serviced every so often, and they said exactly what you are, that unless anything is wrong there's no reason to service it.

The aircon mob must just be trying to drum up some work...

Thanks for your comments, and I'm glad I've got an honest Honda service center.

PandA

Vinny
09-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Since some of us don't have the windows on our filter/driers, my new one didn't have one. The best bet is if it starts to blow warmer take it in. If you catch it early enough most places have freon sniffers they can use to pinpoint a leak. If you let it run all the way out there gonna charge you to put a lb or so in it to leak check it. As far as changing the filter that only needs done after the system has been opened, so if there are no leaks and no work has been done to the system it should be in good shape

Mac
09-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Are you sure? I've noticed that some aftermarket driers have smaller sight glasses than the original ones. Is it black? I also noticed that before they are painted black some have little tape dots over the sight glass and are not removed. It might be worth your while next time you are under the hood to scratch the top of your drier to see if there is tape over the sight glass.

Vinny
09-21-2003, 02:59 PM
nope solid piece, all black, no ridge or anything in it to indicate anything underneath, just no sight glass no big deal

Mac
09-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Oh well. Thought is was worth a try. Guess you will know when you're low by how it cools.

Vinny
09-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Might be due in part to the fact its a -134A conversion?????? Dunno if the sight glass would still be a tell-tale since you only use 75-80% of the original -12 . Oh hell who cares

Mac
09-21-2003, 03:08 PM
That would make sense.