PDA

View Full Version : "putting" sounding exhaust at idle

danronian
09-15-2003, 09:27 AM
My car has always done this at idle and so far I cleaned the PCV valve after finally finding it and I figured since that didn't do anything that it could be something with the egr valve, the manuals I have dont say anything about it but hopefully someone here would know. The car is right on for the factory idle rpm but it sounds like it should be higher. I know it should be able to idle at that rpm smoothly w/o the "put put" noise out of the exhaust but I just don't know how to do it. I did pull the filter assembly off the other day and noted that inside the intake looks real grimy, could throttle body cleaner do anything?

There is something else it does weird at idle also. If it is just sitting there at idle when it is all warmed up, if you just tap the gas w/o gradually pushing it it will ping. It sounds like an engine noise but I know it is just a ping (the noise it makes if your in the wrong gear and trying to go up a hill). Is there anything I can do about that or do I just have to live with it?

k-roy
09-15-2003, 10:52 AM
My car has the "put put" sound at idle too. I always thought it was from my carbureator. I know it is not a vaccum leak b/c I removed most of that stuff and replaced what was left. I however do not have a ping at just abouve Idle. I am anxious to hear suggestions for fixing the putting sound.

BootMachine
09-15-2003, 11:41 AM
I have an A20A FI engine....it putts at idle too. I adjsted my idle to 800RPM and its ok now!

danronian
09-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Mine is right around 900 and it does it until you go over 1000rpm. Tonight I figured I would check to see if the underseat ecu was flashing any codes and it flashed ten times so I think that is my problem.

BootMachine
09-16-2003, 10:55 AM
code 10 is you engine temp sensor I THINK!

You gotta replace that sucker! Its only two screws though!

danronian
09-16-2003, 06:24 PM
It was the intake temp sensor. I just took off the plug, tried to take it out but the screws were seized and I had to drive to school so I just reset the ecu and drove it. I got home and the ecu isnt flashing anymore but i didnt notice any difference in anything at all. Any other ideas on how to fix the pinging off idle and the rough idle?