PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing about audio, can you help me?

turbochode
09-15-2003, 06:48 PM
I have the 86 LXI 4 door. I'm just wondering what size speakers fit in place of the stock ones. I'm not a huge sound buff, i just need something better than factory. So if you can help me out with the sizes... like 5x5 or whatever.

Sorry if i sound like an idiot. i'm also not at a position to check the size. its for my gf's car and i want it to be a surprise. itd be easier for one of you guys to tell me rather than me sneak out with a measuring tape. thanks for the help.

zero.counter
09-15-2003, 06:55 PM
6.5in.

turbochode
09-15-2003, 06:57 PM
schweet! thanks a ton, i'm guessing those are rear. any ideas on the fronts?

shepherd79
09-15-2003, 06:58 PM
welcome on board.
lets start with budget. how much money do you want to spend?
you can go with Pioneer speakers. they are cheap and they give good sound.
the size you would need 6.5" all the way around (front and back), unless she has oval rear speakers which are 6x9.

second, you will need good HU. again pioneer makes good HU that will sound good and it will last.

third, you will need to find someone to install it. you can buy all the stuff from best buy, circuit city or your local audio store (they may be a little more expensive).
if you want to do all the work yourself, which is very easy, you should get Honda wirring adapter for HU. you can get it from walmart. speakers, is very easy to replace. you will need screw driver and 10mm wrench.

if you do it yourself, it may take you about 2-3 hours.
if you let some one else do it, 1 hour max.

turbochode
09-15-2003, 07:10 PM
i already have a head unit. And i can do all the installation myself. I work at an auto repair shop for the military and have installed a bunch of stereos. I just needed to know the size. but you did remind me to get the wiring harness. thanks. 6x5 all around.. perfect. thanks.

3G Jester
09-15-2003, 07:26 PM
no. 6.5 as in 6 and half inches. then there are 5.25 inch speakers

the best way to do it is have 2 way speakers [high and mid range] in the front doors.....then have 3 way speakers [high, mid and low range speakers in the rear] and then subs in the trunk for your heavy bass

options that improve your full range of frequencies are tweeters for high high range shit. mount those on your dash or higher on the doors. then have 6x9 speakers [3 way] on your rear dash..the area between the seats and the rear window. combined with the door speakers and subs these two give great additions.

turbochode
09-15-2003, 08:54 PM
oooohh..... i see.... told ya i know nothing about audio. 6.5 for rear and 5.25 front? just clarifying. thanks again everyone.

3G Jester
09-15-2003, 09:01 PM
you got it bro :)

Vinny
09-15-2003, 09:02 PM
6 1/2 front and either 6x9 or 6 1/2 rear. as was stated earlier, 6x9 rears if you have an long oval grill on the rear 6 1/2 if you have a small grill almost like the ones in the doors

shepherd79
09-16-2003, 04:45 AM
you can fit 6 1/2 in the front without any problem. 5 1/4 are too small for good sound.

89accord_lxi_coupe
09-17-2003, 07:57 AM
i've got two pioneer 6x9's in the back and they do put some good sound out. now i just need to pick up a couple of good 6.5's for the front speakers. aren't there also 1 inch speakers, i'm guessing tweeters, they could be good for upper dash or door area, correct?