PDA

View Full Version : Question on Seat compatibility

original2k
09-15-2003, 10:25 PM
hey guys, found these mugen seats on ebay, it comes with rollers too, my question is, the guy says that the rollers are universal for all cars, now any1 who's got any know-how on swapping seats, i need to know if these are indeed "bolt-on" or if i have to do anything in particular to get these to fit here's the link......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2432671612&category=33701

there's a pic of the rollers in there too, as always any help is GREATLY appreciated! :wave:

Justin86
09-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Well they should fit but you never know. You might have to make some minor mods to the brackets to make them fit.

Magny
09-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Dude, if that is the bracket that goes to those chairs in that picture, then yeah you do meed to make a few modifocations.

When they said universal on there, they meant only if you have a flat floor pan. You are gonna have to remove the front brace to the original chairs, relocate the computer under the seat somewhere in the interior, drill holes into the floor pan where the thing is gonna get bolted down to and install the seats.

Then you get to enjoy the new chair after cuting your hands, and bruising your knuckles trying to do all those modifications, lol.

But hey if ya get it done, get some pics and post them. We all wanna see the final result.

zero.counter
09-16-2003, 04:32 PM
When they say universal, they mean the sliders. You will usually have to custom make the brackets or pay up to $150 for the brackets (Bride, Corbeau). The last seat that I bought was a Recaro Knockoff which came with universal sliders. I had to custom fit some metal braces and a lot of measuring to finally get the seats mounted. I used stainless steel bolts. Welding will get an even tighter fit so the seat stays in place firm, even on 70mph corners.

The steel braces I used came from Home Depot. They were .25 in. L Brackets of different sizes.

I would also recommend upgrading the seat hardware, as in bolts. Usually they come with quality bolt, but I have seen some like the DAD seats on e-bay with aluminum bolt that will eventually brake with some stress. The Lock-Tite stainless steel bolts from your local auto parts store work awesome. I strength tested them at being able to handle over 500lbs. of force.

The seats you are looking at say "custom stitched mugen logo". :huh:
I have seen those patches for about $6.

original2k
09-16-2003, 06:38 PM
well i realize they are knockoff chairs, the fact that they look nice and their that cheap is what caught my eye, but welding i know none so i couldn't do any of that stuff, but oh well it was a good idea at the time

zero.counter
09-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by original2k
well i realize they are knockoff chairs, the fact that they look nice and their that cheap is what caught my eye, but welding i know none so i couldn't do any of that stuff, but oh well it was a good idea at the time
No man, don't give up that easily. If you saw what I said I did, it just tales ingenuity, time, and some elbow grease. I did it in 100 degree heat with no freaking shade. I just didn't want to give up. It is possible man. If you want specific instructions, then PM me and I will get them together.

original2k
09-16-2003, 07:05 PM
well man i don't know how to weld nor do i have tools to do such things, so if that's the case then i'm just short, but if there's another way then that's coo

original2k
09-17-2003, 09:10 PM
these brackets, i can buy them? where do i buy bride or corbeau brackets?