PDA

View Full Version : Alternator light 2/3 pin confusion

anchovies
09-16-2003, 12:26 AM
Helping a friend here.
He's using a 3 pins alternator socket I think, and his 88 dx is supposed to have 2 pins (or the other way around).

So now the alternator charge light on the dash always light because the connection is grounded.

How to rewire it correctly so the alternator light doesn't come on everytime. But just comes on when it's not charging.

thanks

cruznz
09-16-2003, 12:47 AM
the DX is carbed right?.....i think they use a 3 pin connector,....EFI use 4 pin......now , i'm guessing that your friend has a 4 pin alt. on his car?.......(if it's a 2 pin,i dont think it is tho',is it a Bosch or Lucas alt?)......need more info on what alt your friend is using and what connector,(3/4 pin?), then can tell you how to rewire it

smufguy
09-16-2003, 10:11 AM
yeah the Carbs use a 3pin and the Efi use a 4pin, in what i can guess, you can use the efi alt on the carb but not the carb on the efi. So this means that you need the clip connector from the efi carb to adapt to the cab wire harness. The wire codes should be the same with onlyone wire left out. I will check the electrical dig when i get home and reply if its not too late. :wave:

anchovies
09-18-2003, 08:01 PM
haynes electrical diagrams suck. There's this one wire that goes no where.
It might be 3/4 pin combo...can't remember now. So much on my head.

It should be regular dx exchanged for an lxi alternator. If somebody has done this swap and got the alt warning working properly, let me know how you wired it. Thanks.

cruznz
09-20-2003, 12:00 AM
did the 4 pin connector come with the alternator?......if i recall right,you dont need the white/red wire

anchovies
09-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by cruznz
did the 4 pin connector come with the alternator?......if i recall right,you dont need the white/red wire

white/red...will let him know.
thanks cruznz and smuf