PDA

View Full Version : accord lxi & lx

accordlxi2.0
09-16-2003, 01:35 PM
LXI : i was driving and a car almost hit me, i hit the brake's and then we resume fine.
my moms pointed out that my abs light came on and my gear thingy flashed twice (she meant d4 light).
so i dropped her off, on the way home it did it again two times!
today traffic was crowded so i took the highway and i noticed my torque converter was'nt locking up.:crying:

lx :eek: i recieved a emission's card for it so now i gotta get work so PLEASE guy's help me who ever had these problem's like i'm having before october.
that problem getting worse this morning it was idleing at 200rpm and it smelled like gas BIG time i open the choke it idled fine. let go it went back to the stalling, too much gas. but i found out why it start's to do fine afterward's 'cause the choke open's by itself.
the o2 sensor wire broke and connected back togeter (misspelled)
idle ajust by itself.
both have been getting crappy mpg's
plus some peep's told me that our honda's have stric emmission's don't know but i do know that i goota get this taking care of.
so what could it be a/f screw gone or something (i can take care of the lxi gas prob's it's the lx i kinda can't figure out.
can yall????????????
thanx

shepherd79
09-16-2003, 02:27 PM
first, if your torque converter doesn't lock up, than how did you ge home. it may not lock up all the time. or your trany is slipping.

LX: O2 sensor doesn't do anything in carbed accords. ask you said your choke is the problem. your best bet would be to take it to honda dealer.

accordlxi2.0
09-16-2003, 05:24 PM
you can tell when it lock's up when on the highway i could be doing 2,500 rpm's @ 60 mph with out l/u. then when it does turn on it goes to about 2,200rpm's
and i found the problem.
there was a loose ground wire.
gm's would have this problem too.(around the brake switch)
ford's would be a shuddering.

i think the a/f screw fell out.
and if i take it to honda they would charge me alot of money would'nt they?????

shepherd79
09-16-2003, 05:43 PM
check the fluid level in the trans.

you can't lose the mixture screw because it has a metal cap in the front of it, and it is not going anywhere.

accordlxi2.0
09-16-2003, 06:59 PM
i looked at the how to's and it look's shallow , but when i put my figer there i did'nt really feel any thing i'm gonna try angain tomarrow.
btw, why would honda put a o2 sensor there ,just for the hell of it?
don't think i'm crazy or anything i'm serious,
before the mpg's used to be bad i mean i even used shell premium and got bad gas milege. and i had adjust the idle too.
now gas milege is a bit better than it was and the idle seem's to compesate for itself.
i was reading one of my school book's
about these type's of carb's.
but i still wonder why so much gas not enough air?

shepherd79
09-16-2003, 07:14 PM
the O2 sensor on carbed cars is just for some emission crap. it doesn't do anything to control the air/fuel stuff. i tried replacing my o2 sensor, i thought it was bad, but it didn't work.
at the end i just removed all the vacuum lines.

accordlxi2.0
09-17-2003, 01:20 PM
well i've been paying attention to my abs and trans light's and nothing yet. i guess it was from the way i started up and drove (as for the abs)
as for the lx,
it seem's it can't be flooded cause i pumped to see if it does it when it's warmed and it does'nt it starts up as normal.
what if it's the efe heater,
what are the syptom's of that.
i know it trigger's the battery light.

accordlxi2.0
09-18-2003, 06:22 PM
UPDATE :
i don't know if this sovle's anything but, i use a good vacuum source off the engine. i connected to the trottle controller and the engine shut off.
the choke unloader moved instantly.

accordlxi2.0
09-20-2003, 09:48 AM
can anyone help
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

Magny
09-20-2003, 03:32 PM
ok guys, as for the damn O2 sensor being on the header, and having the computer under our asses, its there so if you wanna swap the carb out and drop efi in there. they put it in for the hell of it so if we wanted to change from carb to efi. pretty nice for them to do that. but how i know, is my friend has a LX like i do and he dropped a efi system in there, all he had to order was the intake manifold, injecotrs, rail, FPR, and the harness for the efi. the computer box is pre programmed so no proggraming needed. On mine for having the computer box there, i unplugged it from the box and left it off, car runs a hella lot better without it, but of course you would have to adjust the throttle stop screw and the idle screw. and, yeah unplug the O2 sensor its not really for anything but efi. i also unplugged a mysterious wire thats under the intake manifold in my LX, wonder what its to, not effecting anything in my car. anyone happen to know what this wire is. its got the bullet type plug.

DanG86LX
09-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Carb doesn't have a computer per se. Honda call it "Emission Control Unit" and Carb-ECU are a bunch of logic ICs. Going from Carb to EFI, I think require a EFI-ECU which has indeed a computer in it.

Just amazed me how Honda engineers foresaw 17 years ago that some nuts (like us) might just remove Carb-ECU and the car should yet be derivable. Not sure what happen with Magny idle with that solenoid on carb (Primary Slow Mixture Cut-off Sol-Valve) disabled! Oh yah, raised the idle.. :lol Perhaps that's what u unplugged, also if it's bullet type plug it might be the choke heater..

On Carbs, O2 sensor is part of Feedback Control System which maintain a stoichiometric air-fuel ratio while under load. Earlier 3geez does not have it (like mine :D ).
Idle mixture screw do the same thing but at IDLE.

accordlxi2.0 sorry to say, ur post is all over the place.
What is ur mpg's and city/highway ratio?
Looks like ur choke is behaving somehow. Does it open like 1/8" after the startup? That's the Choke Opener job.
Does ur High Idle come down by itself when u do NOT blip the gas? That might indicate that vacuum goes to the choke diaphragms at the right time!
U said, choke eventually opens, but after how long? 5mts or 20mts?

Try posting on Carb section ur LX fuel probs.

accordlxi2.0
09-22-2003, 04:53 AM
well last time was about 190-200 on a full tank!?
and name brand gas too.(city driving)
when it first start's it close's then open's when the eng. running.
but it's like i'm pumping gas but not giving it any air.
then it level's out when it start's to open.
it high idle's till i hit the gas then stay's at 1200rpm's then goes down by itself.
any idea's??
thanx 4 working with me here

DanG86LX
09-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Assuming 11.5 gal/tank ur's doing a lil over 17mpg. I should be happy with my 21.5mpg. :D
Anyway, seems that ur choke is ok.
Timing? Lack of advance makes engine run rich. My distributor had both vacuum and centrifugal advance stuck.
How are spark plugs?

accordlxi2.0
09-22-2003, 06:13 PM
:D i'm happy to hear that , but yet confused.
so if i advance it the mpg's should increase?
i was thinking what if i adjusted the tab plate
for the choke?
thanx again.:pimp:
btw, i though it was 15gal.

DanG86LX
09-22-2003, 07:19 PM
"..so if i advance it the mpg's should increase?.."

It may, although running lean is not good for engine either! So keep it on the mark.
But make sure that both dist stator and rotor move freely. Seems that years without service get to them and they're sticky.

What about this choke or tab plate adjustment?

When my gas light comes in, a fill up takes 11.5 gal.
So u meant 15gal for 200m ?

accordlxi2.0
09-23-2003, 05:05 AM
yea um . . . . . .your right take's bout 11.5 sorry .
so yep it's 190 a tank. as 4 the choke i figured when it's cold and sputtering like this i open the choke a little bit more and it idle's out smoothly.
it seem's who ever had the car before my friend ,disabled the choke.

accordlxi2.0
09-30-2003, 06:42 PM
:sadwave: :confused: can some help again???