PDA

View Full Version : newb here (few questions)

cym rx-7
09-17-2003, 03:34 PM
hey guys, I am new to the honda thing. I just bought an 88 accord lx. its on its second engine (first lasted 240k) this one has 105k or so (out of a wrecked car). I have been searching to board to find out what I can about my car, but I cant find anything related to my situation.

my questions are that since the block in my 88 lx is from an 89 lx-i, what is the engine code (a20a?).. the other thing is that on this 89 lx-i engine is the old 88 lx manifold and carb... I am trying to rebuild the carb since it seems to be acting up, and I dont know what kit I need to get or where to get it, or would just getting a used carb with less than 245k miles on it be better lol. and what engine code is the regular old 88 lx engine (if its even different from the 89 lx-i)

would this combination of engines give me more than 98 hp? I think so since I have beaten a few cars in races I didnt think I would win! (mid 90's civic w/intake and exhaust, and a newer lancer with exhaust) the accord is stock with a decent sized exhaust leak (sounds cool haha)

thanks a bunch, dont be too hard on me since Im new (I searched I swear!, lol)

cym rx-7
09-17-2003, 03:35 PM
oh yeah, I looked for the engine code on the block, but there is too much crud down there and cant see it.. all I saw was some gold sticker looking thing with E205 something on it... dunno what that is. thanks

1988starter
09-17-2003, 04:17 PM
If you don;t have emissions get a webber carb instead of rebuilding the old one also the 88 LX engine is A20A1 and the LXi engine is A20A3 you may get more power because it had a higher compression but a webber carb will give lots more power.

deadlight
09-17-2003, 08:45 PM
A real quick performance gain is to remove your vacuum lines, there's a full set of directions on how to do it in the carb tech forum, that's good for some more power. Won't pass emissions though.

al010101
09-17-2003, 10:38 PM
you could just get the efi manifold and misc. other efi parts and go efi...thats what i'm thinkin i might do tomarrow...since i'll be at the junkyard anyways (give me a wrench and i'll tear anything apart in 5 minutes at a junkyard..)

k-roy
09-17-2003, 11:46 PM
To be able to see your engine code you need to clean it off with some carb cleaner or simple green. It sounds like you have an A20A3 block. If you are looking for some more power pacesetter makes an affordable header, about a hundred bucks. I highly reccomend removing the excess vaccum lines only if you do not have emission checks, its cheap and easy. You will notice a better throttle response and a bit more power below 3000rpm. Besides that make sure your plugs/wires, oil, coolant, pcv valve etc... are all in good working order.

cym rx-7
09-18-2003, 06:04 AM
thanks guys, Im gonna mess with it some more today. Just found out there are 2 fuel filters, so that might be my problem instead of the carb. I have only changed the one in the engine bay. I have changed plugs/wires/airfilter and cleaned the carb with spray as well.

Ill look into removing some vaccum lines since I am in florida, the wonderful land of no emissions or inspections!