PDA

View Full Version : Smooth 10" sub...

A Dawg Jr
09-17-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm tired of just having the 6x9's in the back goin with heavy bass... I need a little to back them up.. I really don't want a booming system, but when a song hits a low, I want to feel it... I went to the car audio place and they had a Alpine TR 10'' playing in a ported box (I'm pretty sure they're commen), but it sounded bad ass!!! The only problem is they're 250 bones.. plus I need a good amp to back it up..

I just wanted to know what would be a good sub to get for the same kinda sound.. just real low and smooth. I know the box will be a big facter, but I was looking for a small sub.. What's the best out there right now that doesn't need a whole lot to push it (in other words, a whole lot of money for an amp)?

I was looking on ebay cause it's real cheap and I'm looking at some infinitys, not perfects. They look pretty nice, but anyone else have some good suggestions, also amps to back it up would be cool too. thanks

blazin3gen
09-17-2003, 08:15 PM
u want cheap, i got a Jensen 8" that sounded prety damn good for being Jensen and 8 inch, it bumped good with a cheap 200w amp, still got it if u want it lol

I also got an extra 10" with inclosure it HIT hard in the Hatchback :D

Hash_man_Se_i
09-17-2003, 08:21 PM
MTX 8000 is pretty good. I like mine!. ooh but If you want somethin really nice, go with an eclipse, or focal for really good sound.

A Dawg Jr
09-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Eclipse huh???? They're good? I was looking at those...

Hash_man_Se_i
09-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Ya, eclipse are awesome subs. If I had more money, I would have gone with one. I would think they are definately worth the little bit extra though.

Vanilla Sky
09-18-2003, 03:56 AM
on the dirt cheap end, i'm runin a pair of jensen XS1212's (12's) from a 100 watt RMS amp in the living room, and despite the shitty amp, they don't sound half bad... and they were only $40 each... all i really have to say is shop around, read reviews, ask questions, ask if you can turn it up really high...

one sub i like for a single setup is the kicker solobaric L7 line... to me they sound really smooth...

of course we can't forget our friends over at adire... check thier lines out, too

A Dawg Jr
09-18-2003, 12:01 PM
well, to tell you the truth I'm not DIRT cheap poor, but I'm close... I have enough to get some quality speakers... I just don't really know what the quality is..

I thought kenwood made a nice line, and I'm sure a lot of their subs are, but I've had 2 friends blow 'em, and I've seen a blown kenwood in two of the last audio stores I've been in.. so I figured I go with another line..

check this out... this is what I want, it's exactly like the one at the store... it's SSSOOOOOO smooth

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3046258511&category=32823

What kind of amp should I get to push it.. ? It's a dual voice coil... each coil about 150 watts... so a 2 channel amp around there would work awesome right??? 2X150... that thing should be smooth as hell! Any amp recomendations?

Vinny
09-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Personally I've never been big on Alpine's speakers. When I used to do install we sold alot of the H/U and alrms but not many speakers, almost never sold subs. BUT, if you like them and can find a good deal then jump on it. I'm not sure how efficient they are, which is kinda what you need if you're looking for a good sounding sub with low power. Thats the hard part, what a stereo store has subs crossed over at and what power they have running them make a HUGE difference in how it sounds. Our demo room used to allow you to run ANY speaker off ANY Amp we had so you could kinda see how it would sound. Just something to remember when you look

Bloodlust
09-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Believe it or not, my brother, after he died, left me a 10" Orion Colbalt in a bandpass box, and a 250 watt orion amp. It is a good sound setup, and is pretty damn cheap, and its in my girlfriend's civic. I almost want to put it in my 3g because it is incredibly smooth and it hits low and highs very nice. I dont know if they are retired or not, because it was like 5 years ago, but I am sure you could find yourself that exact setup. Hope that was of some help.

PogiLXI
09-18-2003, 12:45 PM
check out Crutchfield.com, they have sales going on alot. like buy one get one deals.

danronian
09-22-2003, 10:38 AM
I have that same jensen xs10 sub and it has alot of bump for $30. I have been running it in a walmart sealed box with a 200watt max amp at 4ohm (i believe), and it shakes the car enough for me, most people actually think it is a 12".

For a cheap sub with good quality I would go with the low end visonk's through crutchfield. They are cheap, under $80, and are both very loud and can take a beating. My friend has three of them in a sealed box and has been abusing them for over a year and no prob's whatsoever. Once the jensen blow that is what I am upgrading to.

A Dawg Jr
09-22-2003, 11:26 AM
I just bought a 10'' JL w-6 with a PPI 2240 amp for 100 dollars.. .so that should do it for me... that's a pretty good deal I think..

danronian
09-23-2003, 07:55 PM
I wish I could land a deal like that. Great find.

89AcCOrDmike
09-23-2003, 08:28 PM
yeah that is a great find, hopefully its still in good condition...

goldyaccord
09-25-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 89AcCOrDmike
yeah that is a great find, hopefully its still in good condition...

oh it's in good condition alright. the sub has been stored for 3 or so years and i only hooked it up for a day or so. the Amp is only 6 mos old.

A Dawg Jr
10-13-2003, 07:11 PM
It's smooth :D

goldyaccord
10-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Did you install it yet?

How does it sound in your accord? loud enough?

A Dawg Jr
10-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Ya man, it's perfect for what I need. It sounds real nice!! I made a ported box, and it sounds GREAT for my music, mostly rock, and decent with rap and stuff. It's good for what I need though

It heats up real quick though, If I put the seat down, it slows it down, but it can go for about a half hour then shuts off.

goldyaccord
10-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by A Dawg Jr
Ya man, it's perfect for what I need. It sounds real nice!! I made a ported box, and it sounds GREAT for my music, mostly rock, and decent with rap and stuff. It's good for what I need though

It heats up real quick though, If I put the seat down, it slows it down, but it can go for about a half hour then shuts off.

Does it do it at full blast? maybe turn the gain down alittle

A Dawg Jr
10-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Ya, that was the first day I got it in... I now have it on HPS and have it turned down... it plays for a while now..

zchb9
10-15-2003, 12:41 PM
i got 2 bazooka 10's 300watt mono amp and box and wiring for 275$ and it hits good.