89accord_lxi_coupe
09-18-2003, 07:01 AM
ok, this is what i have.
Sony HU
Stock door speakers
2 Pioneer 6x9's
No sub
No amp

why the person who had the car before me would mix a sony HU with pioneers i'll never know. would it be better to go with a pioneer sub, or a sony sub (do they even make subs?)? I was looking on bestbuy.com and they were featuring speakers by Lightning Audio. i looked at their subs, which were dirt cheap, and i found some fair 10's. does anyone have experience with Lightning or are they new to game? i would also like to get advice on quality amps, but at a college students budget price. that means more or less flat broke. TIA

shepherd79
09-18-2003, 10:32 AM
the mix match is normal this days. i don't doing myself but i know a lot of people who done it. some say it is sounds better, but i think it is because the stuff was on sale.
Lightning audio is ok brand.

88 Accord DX
09-18-2003, 10:37 AM
lightning audio is just a cheaper version of Rockford. its the same company jsut a different name. i used to have LA subs but blew them. i still have some 6x9's by LA but i dont use them cuz i have my alpines in the rear.

the reason people mix and match companies is because not one company is the best at anything. alpine has good decks and speakers but their subs are a little too weak for me which is why im getting some Rockfords.

Bloodlust
09-18-2003, 10:38 AM
I dont believe in mix and match. I believe that all speakers in the car should be made by the same manufactuerer. Also, the head unit and the amps should be made by the same manufactuerer. My setup: MB Quart Speakers all around. Kenwood Excelon Headunit, Kenwood Excelon Amps. I tried putting in an Alpine Headunit in that setup (had more wattage which is actually bullshit) (50 x 4) and my Kenwood is only 45 x 4 and it sounds a hell of a lot better. Why you ask? Because they are compatible! DO NOT MIX AND MATCH. That's about all I have to say.

NOAHS88accord
09-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Bloodlust
I dont believe in mix and match. I believe that all speakers in the car should be made by the same manufactuerer. Also, the head unit and the amps should be made by the same manufactuerer. My setup: MB Quart Speakers all around. Kenwood Excelon Headunit, Kenwood Excelon Amps. I tried putting in an Alpine Headunit in that setup (had more wattage which is actually bullshit) (50 x 4) and my Kenwood is only 45 x 4 and it sounds a hell of a lot better. Why you ask? Because they are compatible! DO NOT MIX AND MATCH. That's about all I have to say.

You are a dumbass!!!!!

Bloodlust
09-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by NOAHS88accord
You are a dumbass!!!!!

What are you talking about? :werd:

Bloodlust
09-18-2003, 11:42 AM
You are a dumbass!!!!!

I figured I would explain why not to miss and match because no one else did. But I was going to put my input on Lightning Audio. At least I decided to put some input on a post instead of calling someone a dumbass. :stick:

Well anyways. Lightning Audio... not too too bad, but personally wouldnt recommend them. You get what you pay for in car audio. I use Lightning Audio Power Distributors in my car, and they seem to work great. But I am not too sure about the speakers and stuff. Hope that was of some help.

Vinny
09-18-2003, 11:48 AM
My setup: MB Quart Speakers all around. Kenwood Excelon Headunit, Kenwood Excelon Amps. I tried putting in an Alpine Headunit in that setup (had more wattage which is actually bullshit) (50 x 4) and my Kenwood is only 45 x 4 and it sounds a hell of a lot better. Why you ask? Because they are compatible! DO NOT MIX AND MATCH. That's about all I have to say.

OK no reason fot you guys to get all full of attitude about this stuff, thats just kinda inmature

Just curious Blood, what difference does the power output of 2 diff head units make if your running amps???? NONE you should be using RCA Outputs to the amps, the wattage rating is totally null in that case, who cares if its 1 watt or 200 watts your not using that output, so that makes noo difference. As far as compatability between amps and H/U, thats why they greated adjutable gains, to compensate for higher or lower output from your Head Unit. My system matches only because I got a good deal on it, but when I used to do installs for a living we mixed everything. Some company's 6 1/2 are awesome but thier 5 1/4 sound like ass, so what to do then? Match and have ass sounding 5 1/4's or use a different speaker?? You tell me what you'd do?

Bloodlust
09-18-2003, 11:54 AM
I dont get it. Did I say something wrong or something. Its like Im in the fucking twilight zone or something. :confused:

NOAHS88accord
09-18-2003, 12:00 PM
What are you talking about? :werd:

you say dont mix and match, but you mxed your mb quarts in with kenwood. also you say dont mix and match, in my opinion, JL makes the best subs, but in my opinion JL doesnt make the best speakers, and they dont make decks. Just like someone else said earlier, certain companies focus towards one part of car audio, and other companies focus towards something else.

And that is why I called you a dumbass!!!

Bloodlust
09-18-2003, 12:14 PM
you say dont mix and match, but you mxed your mb quarts in with kenwood. also you say dont mix and match, in my opinion, JL makes the best subs, but in my opinion JL doesnt make the best speakers, and they dont make decks. Just like someone else said earlier, certain companies focus towards one part of car audio, and other companies focus towards something else.

And that is why I called you a dumbass!!!

Ok.... if you read my whole thing, I said it was important to make all speakers the same. However, it is also important to make the Amps and headunit the same. It doesnt matter if you use a Kenwood amp to power a mb quart speaker or sub. I also said it was important to make sure that your headunit is the same make as your amps. Because I know for example: Kenwood Amps and Kenwood headunits have a special feature and you can tweak certain stuff.

And for second, if you think JL makes the best subs, you need to shop around more. Are you aware that a 12" JL W3 only has a power handle of 250 watts peak? That is not even half of what my 12" MB Quart PWD304 handles RMS!!! Which is by the way 750 watts RMS :D Why people think JL is all high and mighty, I dont know. However, I was conned into that theory, and bought a pair of 12" W3's, but that was over a year and a half ago. I have grown up since then and done my homework. But since then I am aware that they have made better subs, and who knows they could be better, but I dont want to give anyone another chance to twist my words around.

However, I agree companies focus on certain parts of car audio. For example, MB Quart definitely focuses on speakers. I dont even think they make amps or headunits. But JL concentrates on speakers and subs, and like you said does not make headunits. They are all around a good mid quality company, but do not make the BEST subs. I dont even want to argue with you, so please stop twisting my words around. /rant

Vinny
09-18-2003, 12:16 PM
thinkin someones gonna get a time out if y'all don't CHILLLLLLLL

Play nice like good lil boys or you'll have to be seperated:D

Bloodlust
09-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by My Cousin Vinny
thinkin someones gonna get a time out if y'all don't CHILLLLLLLL

Play nice like good lil boys or you'll have to be seperated:D

:lol Hey man I'm chilled. I just hate getting my words twisted around thats all. I see this thread being locked up if Noah says one more smart ass thing to me, and Nolan Im extremely sorry if that happens.

PogiLXI
09-18-2003, 12:44 PM
bah, mixing is fine at low end systems. but highend competing systems, Manly with bass. Like MATTS Class D amps are going to pound the shit out of there Juggernauts. But hook them up to a Lower end speeker like Sony Xplode, or Lighning. Its going to sound like serrious BUTT. MY orion HCCA 275g4, can tell the difrent between a HCCA 12, and a Crap speeker. They Desighned the amp to the speeker for competition. they know EXACTLY where the speeker is, for better speeker controll and SQ.

I hit 150Db with one HCCA 12, ported. in a Eclipse.

Hash_man_Se_i
09-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Mixing is fine in any system. High end or not. Some of the best systems I have heard mix.

Focal only makes speakers, not amps, not HU's... and they sound AMAZING!. And audison only makes amps, no speakers, and no HU's.. Audison amps are amazing, all they make is amps... and all focal makes is speakers... If these companies didnt make amazing stuff, especially for how much they cost, then they would be out of business.

So, I beleive mixing is fine.

danronian
09-18-2003, 05:19 PM
My friend has 4 - 6 1/2" mmats in each of his doors, one audiobahn amp for the door speakers and one for the three visonik 10's in a big sealed box, controlled by his stock HU (has an electronic equalizer, tape deck, cd changer, and is extremely clear), and that is the best sounding system I have ever heard. For all the money that cost and for how good it sounds I don't know how anyone can say not to mix companies.

TJ89Accord
09-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Yah mix and match is fine. Like a few people said, some companies have better strong points than others. I have a Pioneer deck, a Zapco amp powering my JL Audio subs, and all my 6.5s are Blaupunkt (which I don't really like, but they were free :)).

tim

MrBen
09-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Sony speakers suck, and so do their amps, but their CD decks are alright. I have a Sony deck with new Pioneer speakers all around.

Vinny
09-18-2003, 06:01 PM
I've got a sparkomatic tapedeck w/ knobs , Kraco speakers and a roadmaster eq and sub ...... so there mix and match that :flip:

Just kiddin but hey thats an awesome setup :lol :lol :lol

89accord_lxi_coupe
09-20-2003, 08:26 AM
heh, thanks vinny. (rolls eyes) thanks to those who tried to stay on topic somewhat. a few of you went a little off, pull that pissing match convo to your own thread. anyway, i need good door speakers and i'll be happy. i may look at getting a couple 10's at some point. thanks for the input.
VOTE TO LOCK PLEASE!!!!!!!

NOAHS88accord
09-20-2003, 11:21 AM
in my opinion, JL makes the best subs, but in my opinion JL doesnt make the best speakers, and they dont make decks.

Not trying to keep an argument going, but my original post said IN MY OPINION, everyone has their opinion, i wasnt claiming JL is the best speakers for everyone, I was claiming that for me personally they are my favorite, its all about what each person wants, but to the originator of this post, I would say look around on ebay before you buy anything, you can find good deals on high end car audio on there. Mr. Bloodlust, no offense in any of my posts earlier, i was just saying that if you choose one brand because their decks are good and believe you must buy their speakers, and amps for it to work that would be being a dumbass, that is why i stated that. I aplogize for sounding like a dick.

wallyyfm
09-21-2003, 07:45 AM
it doesnt matter if you mix and match, companies make better stuff than others, that simple, i have an old school aiwa deck, rockford amps and subs, kenwood eq, cadence 4 x 6's and pioneer 6 x 9's, my system is great and im very happy, why try to stay all one brand if some of their stuff sounds like shit, buy whats best, not by brand

but if i wanted to start over, and go by brand it'd be
JVC head
Cadence Components
Cadence Amps
Cadence EQ
MMATS subs

and JVC makes the best headunits if you were wondering:tongue:

NOAHS88accord
09-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by wallyyfm

and JVC makes the best headunits if you were wondering:tongue:

UM, NO!!!!

In your opinion JVC makes the best decks, others may feel that other brands make the best decks, like i said earlier its all personal preference in what deck and speakers and shit you get.

wallyyfm
09-22-2003, 06:35 AM
if you bothered to read the whole post i would think you would be able to draw the conclusion i was kidding :huh: also the tounge i thought would help, guess not

89accord_lxi_coupe
09-22-2003, 08:11 AM
ok guys!!! thanks i got what i needed from this post. you wanna argue or whatever then pm each other.
LOCK PLEASE!!!

Bloodlust
09-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Not trying to keep an argument going, but my original post said IN MY OPINION, everyone has their opinion, i wasnt claiming JL is the best speakers for everyone, I was claiming that for me personally they are my favorite, its all about what each person wants, but to the originator of this post, I would say look around on ebay before you buy anything, you can find good deals on high end car audio on there. Mr. Bloodlust, no offense in any of my posts earlier, i was just saying that if you choose one brand because their decks are good and believe you must buy their speakers, and amps for it to work that would be being a dumbass, that is why i stated that. I aplogize for sounding like a dick.

Hey man its all good. Sorry about the late reply, havent been on 3geez for like 4 days!!! But anyways, I was in a really bad mood that day. I apologize for being a dick also. Its ok to mix and match, I almost bought a Phoenix Gold Amp today :eek: looks like I just might mix and match :rolleyes: . But anyways, really want to apologize, and I realized that it really is ok to mix and match and sometimes it does make it better.

wallyyfm
09-22-2003, 10:00 AM
i like having rockford amps to match the subs, its kinda cool but its not like rockford is the best

and hey, we can chat on here if we want to, its not your board

89accord_lxi_coupe
09-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by wallyyfm
and hey, we can chat on here if we want to, its not your board

:sadwave: um, actually i started this thread. the board, no it's not mine, but the thread kinda is. if you wanna continue "discussing" with each other this topic, then start your own thread. i did this to get some info and i got what i needed, there is no more use for it outside its intended topic.