PDA

View Full Version : gas smell

oldsub86
09-18-2003, 08:13 AM
We can sometimes smell gasoline inside the vehicle. I have looked it over and do not see any signs of actual fuel leakage. I have also opened the hood and sniffed around under there when it can be smelled inside the cab. I cannot smell any under the hood so I am assuming it is not coming from that area. I am guessing it might have something to do with pollution control equipment. Most modern era vehicles have some sort of system that is supposed to collect evaporated fumes and then pull them into the intake on start up. I have not poked around with this stuff on the car so have not pinpointed any area yet. Since much of this equipment is under the hood and I don't smell fuel there, it must be under the vehicle somewhere. Going to put it up on the ramps and have a look underneath.
Wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if so if you tracked the source down?

danronian
09-18-2003, 08:35 AM
There is either a fuel leak or a very rich running carb. The smell could be coming straight out of the carb. My malibu's holley always smells like gas but it doesnt leak at all. I would be sure to check for leaks again though. Gas tank mabybe? Is it possible a hole was made in the gas tank from the top of it? (by a drill)

SiR
09-19-2003, 06:43 AM
Check the fuel line inside the engine bay. Its coming from the driver side firewall to the left side of the carb. It might look like a red braided line with a small canister, which is the furl filter. Check along that line. Another might be near the primary fuel filter under the car, infront on the left-rear wheel well. Check the line from tank-fuel filter- then to the side of the car.

my86dx4dr
09-24-2003, 05:04 PM
have you recently replaced the pump (fuel) i had my pump replaced by my uncle (old honda mech till 96) and the dumbass forgot to put a gasket on!.....wheow that seriously gave me a headache the fumes were killer .......im so lucky i didnt light up a stoggy

cubert
09-25-2003, 03:58 PM
when my exhaust ripped off i smelled gas for awhile...but after it got replaced nothing...