PDA

View Full Version : advance timing problem

3rd gen 89 se-i
09-18-2003, 11:11 AM
i just advanced the timing on my car yesterday with a friend of mine. the only thing now is that a little after i left his house my battery light on the dash lit up. while i drive it fades away but every time i turn on my car there it is again. the battery is only 2 months old so it can't be the battery. the water holes on it also have water in them. u guys have any ideas?

shepherd79
09-18-2003, 11:30 AM
it is your alternator. check the belts and make sure they are tight.
I think your alternator is on the way to junk yard.

Magny
09-18-2003, 01:55 PM
yep sounds like shep is right on the target to your prob., take it to a kragen, shucks, or checkers (depending on what is avalible in your area) and get a free alternator test to see if it is the prob. best thing you could do

Mac
09-18-2003, 02:18 PM
If you have access to a voltmeter you can check the alt. yourself. Just put leads on the battery and run the engine. You should read 13.75 volts or better, then start turning things on. The voltage shouldn't drop too much. If it gets below 13 volts the alt. isn't doing good. Before accusing the alt. check the condition and tension of the belt as stated above.

Magny
09-18-2003, 02:42 PM
:werd:
Tru Tru

3rd gen 89 se-i
09-18-2003, 04:22 PM
well i think i have warranty on the alt still so iam gonna look for my receipt. iam gonna get it tested first but iam pretty sure it is the alt as well.
thanks fellas for finding a solution for me once again.
i relly want to post pics of my car but i don't have a camera to do it with. except for a cousin of mine who's always busy. i want ur guys opinion on waht i've done to my ride.