PDA

View Full Version : What do you think(keeping or not)

blok2400
09-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi, i just had a quick question well acutally i want an opinion heh.
Im leaving for boot camp in july and im wondering weather i should keep my 3g in storage or sell it. its got 170k and it needs a carb rebuild(sputters when i first start it) it also is an automatic and probaly needs new upper ball joints. I figured instead of getting a new car i could take out a loan after boot camp(and when i get some time) to complelty redo the car. There are some i have seen that look amazing so its tempting. But like i said i wont get much use out of it because ill be serering 6 years. "Hoping to get placed on a base"

Vinny
09-18-2003, 04:42 PM
Honest been there done that opinion??????? Keep the car, DON'T take out any loans and fix it up a lil at a time. Military correct??/ Dependin on what branch and so on, you won't need a car for a while. When I went into the air force it was almost a year beore I could have a car. Basic was like 6 weeks, then technical scholl, which you weren't allowed to drive until you'd been there for so long. Then you had a curfew and could only drive after classes, you March everywhere (to and from class) and usually theres places to grab a beer and goof around within walking distance, so see no car needed. And all this time your earning a paycheck with NOOOOO bills. So see you can save quite a bit in a short amount of time. I was one of those I have money I have to spend it so I bought a NEW car and then a better NEW car, and the an even better NEW car and by the time I was done I was soooo upside down on my car B4 when I got out of the military that that I'da taken a huge loss to get rid of it. Just be smart about it, new cars are nice, but car payments and insurance on new cars suck. I make damn good money and still drive a 3G cuz its what I like and its paid for. I got better thing to do with money thatn dump it into a new car that gets me from A to B the same way my 3G does. Anyways thats my 2 cents and my story and I'm stickin to it:cool:

blok2400
09-18-2003, 04:48 PM
Lol thanks well i may just keep it. I realized that i would not be able to drive it for a long time but you did remind me of one thing. I will be on a ship. So therefore it wont do me any good now will it. I guess i will keep it now that you mention it. My boot camp is 8 weeks so thats plenty of time to save. Hmm well considering i have a while to wait ill just keep working on my 3g till then.
But without a loan it will take a while because my car needs so much work its completly stock except the sound system. I want to replace the engine the suspenion and do a 5speed swap. Then new tires and new rims and body work(well you get the idea)

Mac
09-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Yep, keep it. You won't need a car for a while after you get to boot camp. Like Vinny said you will be getting paid and there will be no bills, so save your money. Start a 3G fund, and put a little away every pay day. The Navy will give you free board, free food, free medical etc. I was in the Navy many years ago and had a great time. Best of all you will learn alot and get to see a lot of places. Do you know what you will be going in for? What kind of schools? Good luck and get as much from the Navy as you can.

blok2400
09-19-2003, 11:55 AM
yeah im going in as a Master At Arms because i want to be a investgator when i get out. Ive gone through some practice tranning exersies and i think im ready. I got my GI bill set up and i go in as a E-3 or E-2 (depending on my referals)

jb2wheels
09-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Sell it - it's a 3G not some collectable. A 69 Camaro Z/28 you store. An 88 Honda that needs work you sell. You'll spend more storing it than it's worth.

Storing it is a waste of time and $.

Buy another car when you need one - it doesn't have to be new and you should be able to save enough cash to buy something without a loan.

blok2400
09-19-2003, 08:31 PM
hmmm

al010101
09-19-2003, 10:24 PM
well theres the simple fact that it is YOURS, it's paid for, and it's not costing anything to keep it...so unless you're in a bind, why sell it? jb2wheels obviously doesn't have a half shit car, because most people, wether thier car is crap or mint, grow a bond with it...my cars are like my children (and with any luck will be the closest i get).....so to get rid of one hurts worse than letting it sit around....least it'll be there to play with down the road, and just think, we'll come up with some oddball, wierd ass ideas for them by the time you're ready to work on it!

jb2wheels
09-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Bond or not, sometimes you have a reality check and sell.
Now, a 65 Lincoln? I'd keep that! Bad carb and all. Big Caddy from the desert - store it too.
Dime a dozen late 80s Accord (half shit or otherwise) - sell it and never look back.

Another thing - please please please don't take a loan to fix one up. You'll be way upside-down forever.

jb2wheels
09-20-2003, 07:43 AM
I'd keep the kids for sure. I'm on the fence about the pets, though.

blok2400
09-21-2003, 01:08 PM
well i may not take out a loan but im seriously thinking of keeping it because its such a cool car. Ive seen what some of you can do with a 3g and they look amazing so i probaly will keep it.