PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions

brianc85
06-18-2002, 09:48 PM
I just bought a 1988 Accord lxi. There is just a few things that are bothering me about it. One is that the breaks are pretty sloppy...What i mean is that when i push the break pedal down it is really easy to push down and doesnt feel like there is any resistance to it. The car stops fine but how can I get the pedal to have more resistance. The other thing that bothers me is exactly the opposite. The Gas pedal is really really sensitive and I hardly have to touch it for the car to rev up. Is there a way that I can get the gas pedal to be a little less sesitive. I guess either of these things wouldnt bug me if only one of them happened at once. Try driving when the break is mushy and the gas is really sensitive LOL. Thanx for the help

Darkside
06-18-2002, 10:06 PM
well for the brakes you could change your brake fluid to a dot 4 or 5. It will give the brake a firmer feel and will be more resistant to heat.

BoredRec
06-18-2002, 10:57 PM
Trying bleeding the brakes.
For the gas pedal...the throttle cable might be too tight. Try loosening it at the throttle wheel thing.

smufguy
06-19-2002, 07:56 AM
seems like u got air pockets on the brake system. it would brak fine but its dangerous to dive with air bubbles in em. unlike pwr steering, the air bubbles in the system would bubble to the top of the resevoir but for the brakes, it juse wont.

its funny how they have the gas pedal set up. i like that firmy kinda set up on my 4g and it idles fine with a firm gas pedal tension. yeah, like boredrec said, turn the lock nut on the throttle cable (on the throttle body). the idle might or might not go down.

ACCORD EX
06-19-2002, 02:57 PM
bleed the brakes ! !
about the throttle cable do you have auto or manual !
it 's really great to have good response
any way try loosning the cable a bit ! like BoredRec said ! if you want ! if it's an auto it will be very sensetive to overdrive !

MIKE

smufguy
06-19-2002, 07:29 PM
damn mike, its like last 4 threads i been to, u are there. hahaha seems like this forum is your love affair, stalking and just down right love :D

brianc85
06-19-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanx for all the info... I have a manual. I was thinking about loosining the throttle cable but I wasnt sure if it would drop the idle like you said. Well I guess I can try it tomorrow cant hurt. Is there a How To on bleeding breaks? Thats the one thing im not to sure how to do.

BoredRec
06-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Start with the right rear, then the left front, followed by the left rear and finish with the right front. Open the bleeder (the rears are wheel cylinders, the fronts are the calipers) and pump the pedal about 15 times. Make sure the reservior is always full of fluid. I use a little bottle with a piece of vacuum hose to attach to the little nipples to collect the fluid so it won't leak out all over the car, the floor and myself.

ACCORD EX
06-20-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
damn mike, its like last 4 threads i been to, u are there. hahaha seems like this forum is your love affair, stalking and just down right love :D

:lol ! man i love it here ! and i love replying and helping if i can ! you know this board helped me a lot and i just want to help all the other people that once helped me or even the new people !
if it weren't for this board i would have sold my car long ago ! :D

by the way take it easy on the bleed bolt when unbolting it ! don't break it ! use WD40 if necessary ! :D

MIKE