PDA

View Full Version : B20a Site, and GOOD information?

capoA20A3
09-19-2003, 07:12 AM
Ok, I've read over some of the posts' concerning H22 swaps and have noticed that most of the responses are the same, "It cannot be done!!". That being said by the majority of the users of this message board, can anyone tell me where to find some good info on swaps using 4th or 5th gen motors in 3rd gen accords, if not can anyone tell me where to find a good B20a swap site that includes step-by-step pictures for particular dummies like myself?? It is hard enuff trying to find a source of info for accords, not to mention trying to find info on 3rd gen accords! This message board is about the only source of information I can find. For people who hate hours of scrolling through old posts, its quite frustrating. I guess what i'm trying to say is I want to swap a B20a into my car, I cannot find out where I can order the motor from, there is question between B20's out of preludes, and the JDM B20 and no one shows how to complete the swap. People like me are left with our manhood exposed. Can someone break this down barney-style for me and clear up my confusion??!!

Vinny
09-19-2003, 07:27 AM
No one said the H22 couldn't be done, a member is going through the long project of "trying" one. What is said about H22 is that it is VERY expensive and EVERYTHING will have to be custom made hence the very expensive.

As far as B20 info most of what you will find will be here and only here because of the lack of web site interest in our cars

I dunno if you read this Project B20A (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5907) but its a good B20 swap project to read up on.

As far as locating a B20 check here

B20a Motors For Sale!!!!!!! (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18420&highlight=b20)

or here

For Sale: B20a W/manual Trans (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21823&highlight=b20)
it may still be for sale

The thing to remember on the b20 from what I have read is parts availability, some will have to be special ordered from Japan, or Europe I believe. See here for parts info A few B20A Part prices (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10654)

I know your new and all but next time do a search on info, its the best way to find things, check the swap thread and marketplace, hate to see you get flamed by someone

capoA20A3
09-19-2003, 07:38 AM
Vinny your an I.D.I.O.T. meaning your an idiot... That is barney-Style enuff for you im sure... but you didn't answer anything for me in your response, except for the fact that the H22 is an expensive swap, which I had already determined. In fact I feel dumber for reading your reply. Your links weren't sites like i had asked they were all from the message board, which was explained in my earlier post as frustrating to scroll through. 2 of the links you provided were to the beginning of this site... does anyone have anything useful for me or am I just pissing in the wind??? Thanx

Vinny
09-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Well I do apologize if I was misleading in my answers and if 2 of my links were bad links, they are now fixed. As you mentioned this is one of the few 3rd gen honda websites and so because of the age and general lack of interest in the cars sites are few and far between, much less swaps. I was trying to post you a few links within the board to save you the time of sorting though them, since you had said it was frustrating.
As for Barney directions, you won't find any, swaps are not easy, swaps are not for the weak of heart, swaps are not for people who lack motivation, and they are definitely not for people who's knowledge of automobiles is at a below average level. It takes alotta balls to actully do a swap and if you are serious I commend you. The best info you will find, unfortunate as you may think it is, will be on this board.

As far as places selling B20A, since they are JDM motors they have to be imported, of couse, so you might search under JDM importers on the web ans see what that brings up. Other choices are of course EBAY, which they do come up there occasionally, or as mentioned the makret place here

As far as the name calling goes, I'm sure its just a stage and you will grow out of it

I have a link to another hondaswap site that may help you, best of luck let us know what you find if there are better to be found out there.

hondaswap (http://www.hondaswap.com)

86AccordLxi
09-19-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by capoA20A3
Vinny your an I.D.I.O.T. meaning your an idiot... That is barney-Style enuff for you im sure... but you didn't answer anything for me in your response, except for the fact that the H22 is an expensive swap, which I had already determined. In fact I feel dumber for reading your reply. Your links weren't sites like i had asked they were all from the message board, which was explained in my earlier post as frustrating to scroll through. 2 of the links you provided were to the beginning of this site... does anyone have anything useful for me or am I just pissing in the wind??? Thanx

Stop being such a fucking jackass..Vinny is one of the nicest guys on the board who went out of his way to try and provide you with information on the b20 swap. No other sites really exist on swapping in 4th and 5th gen motors because it hasn't been done (except I think for one h22 but there's no instructions for that)--that's the reason he didn't give you any links to sites. If you're going to swap in a new engine, maybe you should go in with some knowledge instead of being suck a lazyass that you don't want to scroll through old posts--I don't think anyone should give you ANY information if you're going to be an ungrateful prick about it. If you're so impatient, do your own damned research.

Alex

Alex

capoA20A3
09-19-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks, for your time and understanding nature... I got frustrated and am sorry for being short tempered... The links helped and I have read the B20 swap thread here on the board and its ok... I've done swaps before(on civics), never on accords, and never on anything older than a 90 model car... the 3rd gen accord, and I never thought I would say it, has become one of my favorite Honda's if only it had more power. I'm only trying to knowledge myself better so I do not go into a swap "blind". Thanks for the help

86AccordLxi
09-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Well, if you stop insulting some of the established members here, maybe you'll get some information.

Alex

capoA20A3
09-19-2003, 08:39 AM
you know your right alex, I think everyone in here should do their own damned research, isn't that what the board is for??? I'm sure you dropped a H22 in your accord without even reading a book. I'm sure you got the motor for free, and it came with a t3 turbo, you dropped it in in 2 hours and now your car runs 4's in the quarter mile... I'm not trying to be a prick I'm just trying to better everyone with knowledge in one post instead of 4 million. Organization helps, I apologized for the name calling, atleast I wasn't lame enuff to degrade myself to uneducated language... thanks for all the help

Tony

Vinny
09-19-2003, 08:43 AM
ANYWAYS enough stone throwing, Alex thanks for stickin up for me I appreciate it. The board is hard to find things on, this is true but if the searching alone is too frustrating then a swap may be as well. Unfortunately the way people add and add then drift off topics on threads makes for alot to search through at times.

Hondaswap link is another board that deoesn't cater to any specific gen, but is mostly new accords, you may find something there,

skiingco
09-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Capo,

I have a B20A complete, ECU, seal kit for the head, distributor, water pump still sitting in the crate from when it was shipped to me last Feb. from Canada. I am in NC, Ft Bragg and my wife had our first last Apr, which is why I have not spent much time overhauling it and putting it in my 86 Lude. I paid $3K for the package and can show you pictures if you are interested in paying 3k plus shipping or I will drive it down to Florence, SC to meet you, that is over and hour from my house. If you want the sale, I will need money soon, because if not, I am going to start buying parts from vendors given to me by other 3Geez posts to get this project. After that, the car will be for sale for 6.5K
Chris

RobT5580
09-19-2003, 10:46 AM
No offense but $3,000 is very steep for a B20A even complete with ECU. Even with that said other members cant even sell their complete B20A's for $500. Everyone seems to want one but they are not selling as fast as people would have expected with all the talk going around.

capoA20A3
09-19-2003, 10:55 AM
not really interested in paying 3000 for a motor... rob is right seems kinda steep to me. Esspecially for a motor that is over 15 years old... thanks anyway

Tony

capoA20A3
09-19-2003, 10:59 AM
just curious guys but would a B18B1 fit in a 87 accord LX-i fairly easily? Would it even be worth it? I have one, and might be interested in dropping that in if its worth it... I had bought it originally for my civic hatch I was gonna frankenstein it. For those wondering the B18B1 is the acura teg LS motor.

AZmike
09-19-2003, 11:41 AM
The newer b series engines can be swapped in fairly easily (it's no B20A though). You can use an aftermarket mount kit from Placeracing. They can also get you the custom axles, shift linkage and wiring harness. Hopefully your B18 has a cable actuated clutch. If not that's one more thing that would need to be done.

Lots of other guys know more about this swap than I do, but hopefully this is enough information for you to decide if it's worth looking into further.

RobT5580
09-19-2003, 04:45 PM
The place racing stuff is expensive so it may not be the cheapest swap by the time your done even with the motor. I was not very impressed for the amount of money they want for the kit. Yes it works but for the money i think it could be a little better. As far as the swap its more involved than just dropping the motor in and requires some pin swapping and rewiring if you dont buy the place racing harness. All swaps have their downfalls so i will not say one is better than the other and its all about what you want out of it.

skiingco
09-20-2003, 12:26 PM
I can't count the number of times I have thought I would have not bought the engine/trans if I could do it all over again. Anyway, Rob did you work at Vertek? On my swap, just reviewing the posts between you, Mike and some mail I got from Yasu, basically, to overhaul the engine, if I understand everything I have been reading, I need to tell the machine shop to order accord piston rings, bearings, bearing caps and use the Japan site you posted to get the oil pump assy, oilpan seal, rear main seal. I have a new water pump already, but will the same Japan place be able to get me a alternator, pwr steering pump and ac compressor? Lastly, once the engine goes in, do I take out the stock ECU and just simply swap with the ECU that came with it. On my car, I have to dig out the ECU from the paneling in the BACKSEAT driver side, incredible huh?
Chris

skiingco
09-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Info on web.

you know I was just looking at the posts on the info and something dawned on me, without rob, mike, yasu, vin and other guys, we would be out of luck. I remember first looking for research on a motor before finding the B20 and I blindly went to HASport and others that I found form HCI, Turbo, Import and Honda Tuning mags. My experience from all the calls and email that I made and sent, was if it was not a B16 or B18 going into a 89 or later Civic or CRX, they would not help me. I just want to thank all of you guys for your time and pointing me in the right direction to get this swap finished. 1/2 mile from my house is a lube shop with some young guys that have done B16s into 86 CRXs and added a Turbo in D SOHC in a Civic Hatchback, but they could not help me on this B20A. They helped me get the BT in the car running a little better, but again, without your posts and mail, I would be hosed right now. Thanks.
Chris

RobT5580
09-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Rob did you work at Vertek? I dont know what that is but i used to work for a Porsche/Audi dealership but left because im in college and i run my own business as well.

I have done a lot of searching and the B20A motor is a tough motor to find anything on. I must give carotman and yasu a lot of credit because without the JDM part manual we would have a lot of trouble finding parts and Yasu spent a lot of time looking for USDM parts that work. He also made the discovery of the place in Japan i simply contacted them and got prices which are different from whats in my post at the top of this forum so i will have to dig them up because they were cheaper that the company in california. I have planned on doing this swap for some time and have gone a little overboard by getting two B20As but i wanted spare parts just incase plus the Turbo will be harsh on the tranny. But the swap should be straight forward and as for your ECU your gonna need the JDM wiring diagram to run that.