PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start

montman
09-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Well I went out the other night to start my 89 auto accord LX and had some problems.

It would click and try to turn over, lights, accessories were all on, but the car wouldnt start. Eventually after a few minutes, and many tries, it sputtered, and did finally start and I went on to run my errand.
The next morning almost the same deal, it would click, start to turn over, but not start.
I tried it a few more times throughout the same day, but these times I couldnt ever get it to start.
So its immobile.

Is the starter bad or could it be something else..?

What are some suggestions for things for me to check?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

*I did have a dead battery about a month ago when I didnt drive the car for a few weeks..maybe that factors in as well...

Vinny
09-19-2003, 09:45 AM
OK I 'm not trying to make you feel stupid but do all your accesories stop when you try to start it??? Lights stay on or go out? May have a dead cell in the battery. Do you still here the starter engaging????? Keep things simple kinda approach is all I'm trying to do. Have you tried to jump it when it does this. I know I know but I'm trying. Starter or battery is my bet since you say its basically not turning over. any lights indicating a charging problem when you drove later on??????

MrBen
09-19-2003, 09:58 AM
When you start your car, it needs a shitload of battery power. When you're just running accessories, that's pretty much nothing. It sounds to me like you have a dead battery, because the same thing happened to me when I installed my H4 conversions.

Mac
09-19-2003, 03:33 PM
A good starting point would be at the battery. Check the connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Also check the other end of the cables (+ goes to the solenoid on Starter, - goes to engine block). Make sure they are also clean and tight.

Check the electrolyte level in the battery. You mentioned a previous problem with your battery. You can take it and have it load tested and you will know if it's good or not.

al010101
09-20-2003, 12:21 AM
though it was said 3 times already lol.....battery! check your battery and have it tested, many places like autozone, checkers, etc... will test it for free, also have them run an alternator test.

ACCORD EX
09-20-2003, 01:09 PM
check these things ! i shoud post a faq about this !
here is what i wrote in another thread to trouble shoot !

does all lights work fine ! if yes >

1. check the out put of the battery when car is off shouldn't be less than 12 V ( battery is fine )

2. check the out put of the battery when car is @ idle shouldn't be less than 14 V ( alternator is fine )

3. check the both battery terminal and engine ground .

4. check teh little wire going to the starter ( B/W wire ) see if it is loose . ( if it's not loose proceed to next step )

5. take this little wire off , turn on the ignition , connet a wire between the + of the battery to the starters terminal ( where the wire used to hook up ) if the starter turns and the car comes on ( WARNING : once the car is on disconnect the wire immediatly or you will damage the starter )

IF the starter turns on , so there is an open in the B/W wire , or therr is something wrong with ignition switch ! ( Spray some WD40 in there it really helped me )

IF the starter doesn't turn replace it !

hope this helps ! good luck !

MIKE